Thread: Everest routes

Default Everest routes

Hi there,
    off to Everest in a few weeks and I was wondering if there are any alternative routes we could try out. We are planning 35 days, including the walk in from Jiri and out again to Jiri, probably Chukkung and Gorak Shep but missing out Gokyo (we have been before, twice). Not into the high passes either as we are just 2 and without porter or guide. Any idea to get off the main trail would be appreciated.

Default Re: Everest routes

Instead of returning to Jiri, try walking out to the Arun Valley via Salpa route - about the same time. Then fly out from Tumlingtar. Let m know if you need more info.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

I second the Arun Valley route. I walked in that way in 2012 and out to Shivalaya via Pikey Peak.

The Arun valley is not trekked much and is redolent of trekking in the early days -more so than the Jiri route. Lots of real villages rather than lodge clusters with basic lodges and homestays which are sometimes very basic. Not a problem and there are enough options to avoid very long days. Local food, sometimes no choice, certainly no, or at least very few, menus. We saw very few other trekkers; a couple trekking out and a couple revisiting a school they helped to build and taught in during the 70s. We set off mid-March so not off-season.

As part of the planning we used Taghairm's track notes which were very useful despite the fact I trekked in the opposite direction:

http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24749

On the way out I looped to the south from Ringmo to Phaplu (and Salleri) then to Pikey Peak before returning to the Jiri route. This is also off the beaten track and the views from PP are supposed to be very good. Alas, it was cloudy when I was there.

scoodly

Great ideas, thanks. I hadn't realised it was possible to tea house all the way through the Arun valley. Maybe we will go out that way if it is possible in late december.

In addition to Taghairm's notes the trek is described in LP's Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya. I walked out from the Makalu BC trek across that route over Salpa La and saw one single western guy, solo, and one English lady with a porter/guide on a medical trek along the entire route in mid Nov, 2010. I would recommend that trek to see what basic trekking in the old days is like...you do not need all the pizza ovens, bs western food/menus etc, etc, that unfortunately dominate the big treks these days.

Ref my posting above...I forgot to state that I would highly recommend this trek not be done alone...at min one trek buddy.

Thanks Roger, that is one to save up for next time.

I would never trek alone btw and think that people who do are a little crazy. Last time I trekked to Gokyo I got to know a solo trekker who disappeared the very next day after I saw him, presumed dead but they never found his body, rip Julian Wynne.