Thread: Do you trust your guide?

Default Do you trust your guide?

In Nepalis standards every english speaking person is a guide. Would you trust your life in hands of a person who has no ability to use maps or compass, never the less ability to act in in unextected cirmumstances like snow blizzard?

I like Nepalis guides. Most of them are very friendly and can get you your meal when you wanted. I don't think sherpa is synomym for good guide. There are good guides in every ethnic groups in Nepal, but threre are much more guides that are not equiped to handle more than your basic needs.

Unforortunately or fortunately, turism business has grown in Nepal that is now maybe the biggest industry in Nepal. There are not enough good guides for everybody.

I was taught that you should be prepared for worst and forums like this, people are discussing how to carry less. Do carry your down sleeping bag with you, do carry your Gore-tex with you and if possible have your emergency shed with you (or at least in your guides bag). The change of getting ropped or injured if you are trekking alone is lot less than getting in bad wheather while trekking with somebody.

Ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0G1Ucw5HDg

It's not always the lovely place :-)

Default Re: Do you trust your guide?

There is a system of training and registration for trekking guides in Nepal. It is not that "everyone is a guide". If tourists are silly enough to part with their money without checking credentials, referencing appropriately, and seeking recommendations from more knowledgeable trekkers (like me for example...), well, that is their problem.

I never had a bad experience with a guide or porter in any of my treks.
    I do expect the guide to do guiding, look after safety and advise on that, organise my dinner, make sure I have tea in my room or tent at 7am, make sure I get a potatoe salad with real lemon in Namche bazaar (carry the lemons from Kathmandu if necessary). I expect the porter to carry my travel guitar, my two cameras (film and digital), and have them at the ready for me when I need them.
    Ah, and keep me entertained with Tamang songs, especially of the lewd variety.
    I think most guides and porters fulfill these requirements pretty well. There might be exceptions. Like everywhere.
    yakshaver

Here is my answer for you. I dont think the one how speak English is a Trekking guide in Nepal , Ofcourse i know there are some agent who is sending a person as a guide only with little English but without experinces , without knowledge and even without trainning and License. In this case they are definetely not familier with maps, locations, Even Name of popular mountains like EVEREST.And i have seen many who dont know the Name of any mountains . The culture, people, History if the place, events and life of the people are 1000s of miles beyond their mind.
    So you better fellow knowledgeable trekkers like Yakshaver... and many more trekkers in this forum.
    Thanks

There are some well trained, very experience and highly skilled guides in Nepal. Most of those guides either own their own business or employed by western agents for their trips in Nepal.

Tourism Training Center (HMTTC) used to train trekking guides in request of TAAN and Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA) has been training mountaineering mountain guides ( now international). KEEP used to provide First Aid and CPR courses. Some guides are capable of doing jobs well from experience but lacks paper certificates.

Trekking guide license (photo ID) were checked at trekking routes once before. Unfortunately there were not enough trained guides at the moment so trekking agencies started writing letters to ministry of tourism to issue certificates on the basis of experience ant kept sending name list of their staffs (who knows they were experience but got license).

NMA issues photo ID (used to be Sirdar, HAP, LOP) to only those who applied for it or going to climb a peak or serving expeditions.

Trekking Guide Training is more soft skills like history, culture, flora & fauna. Mountaineering training for navigation and rope skills. Weather forecast? Avalanche ? Who knows ? There have been records of veteran mountaineers killed in low land Himalaya by unpredictable avalanches and Altitude Sickness.

Hire NMA trained guides if you are going technical treks. However double-check their experience and certification. One of the Nepal government website has name list participant for trekking guide (no photos). NMA web site does not have list who are trained what level as I know. The best guide is recommended by close friends.