Thread: sent back from Delhi

Default sent back from Delhi

I am a South African citizen and visited Nepal recently, touring Pokhara etc.

I made good friends with a Nepali tour guide and offered to bring him, his wife and daughter to visit my home country of South Africa for a few weeks as tourists.

It seemed like an easy thing to do - just buy the airtickets for them, arrange visas and that's it.

Anyway, turned to be an expensive experience.

They got their South African visas approved, and passports.

I had to sign sponsorship letters etc, and arranged hotel accommodation etc in South Africa.

I bought airtickets for them online (Emirates) which was via Delhi international airport to Dubai, then to South Africa. returning later back to Dubai and then back to Delhi.

I bought the airtickets for them from Kathmandu to Delhi as well.

The Nepali family flew from Kathmandu to Delhi.

I (in South Africa) then get a phone call from the family, that Delhi officials have sent them out of the airport and refused them getting to the Emirates counter and going to Dubai. They had to spend two days outside the airport.

I had to urgently get very expensive return tickets back from Delhi to Kathmandu for the family.

Very disappointed, I cannot get an answer from the Delhi officials as to the reason.

Mixed reasons given by officals and family:
    "The airtickets were bought in Sri Lanka....." Actually, the South African VISAs were obtained in Sri Lanka, because Sri Lanka is the designated South African embassy for Nepal.

I bought the tickets online from Emirates while in South Africa.

"no Indian permit" Not sure - did they need a Indian transit VISA, I thought that Delhi was a transit point so no VISA needed, also as Nepali citizens, they should not need transit or Indian visa.....

"6000 US$ needed for travel" Surely that is unfair, they were being sponsored

Anyway the family had to go back to Nepal,

I am disappointed, I don't know where I went wrong: they had all the airtickets needed, they had the South African visa.

Default Re: sent back from Delhi

That's a shame. I go through Delhi quite a bit without a problem. Did they go wrong as they arrived into the airport? At a certain point you go left for arrivals ( and onward passage into India ) and right into international transfers. If you go into transfers then you don't need an India visa. Your bags should be checked through or if you have to collect them you will be put into a group and you collect them together ( a bit stressful ) . If you do neither of these things them I guess you may have to go through arrivals and then get caught up in Immigration.
    Paul ( in Delhi )

Thanks Paul

Still no idea, My Nepali friend does not have a good command of English, so despite asking him many times, I cannot get a logical answer.

All I hear is that "not correct Indian document"

I tried my best to explain every step that they would need to take, but never anticipate this.

I would think that airport officials would have pointed them in the correct direction instead of sending them out of the airport. they had no money to travel back to Nepal, so not very nice of Delhi officials in my opinion.

Anyway, will not use Delhi as a transit point again.

For the Nepali Citizen they dont need Indian visa neither Indian citizen need visa to travel Nepal.
    I have travel many times through delhi transit and never got any problem.
    shame to hear about this.

Apparently, since they are tourists, they needed US$2500 travelers cheques each.

It is impossible to give that kind of money, even to friends.

I am thinking of getting Qatar airways from Kathmandu to Doha to South Africa.

I have contacted the airline but they have no idea

Anyone think that Qatar would be less likely to stop my friends from travelling?

Yes that will be easiest option .. your friend will not have any problem... its a Indian style to check the money in hand as tourist ...
    Good luck

Lots of Nepalis fly regularly to destinations in the gulf for work reasons, but who is to say that an onward passenger may not get similar hassles as in Delhi?
    It's a sad fact of life that its easier for "tourists" to travel to Nepal than Nepalis to have similar freedoms to travel outside of Nepal.

Thanks everyone for the information.

I will now book flights on Qatar airlines.

Hopefully this does not happen again.

I will write a 'Host/Sponsorship' letter and make sure my friend carries it with him.

I have contacted Qatar airlines and they say that no money checking is done, so hopefully it will be okay.

Its true Paul, it does seem that Nepali's are treated less well by the officials.