Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumlingtar-Namche-3 passes-Lukla

Default Tumlingtar-Namche-3 passes-Lukla

Hello,

I'm planning to trek with a guide or porter-guide from Tumlingtar (fly-in) to Namche, then 3 passes and will finish with flying-out from Lukla.
    Can someone advise me concering the following itinerary ? Because I would like to travel a bit faster especially from Tumlingtar to Namche (if possible).
    So I would like this stretch a bit shortened in time.
    I will carry no tent, so have to stick with lodiging, home stay..

Day 1 Fly to Tumlingtar, then Balawa-Marduwa
    Day 2 : Marduna-Gothe Bazaar, Dobani, Tallo Phedi-Phedi
    Day 3 : Phedi-Jarabari-Guranshe-Sanam
    Day 4 : Sanam-Gudel-Bung-Boskam Gompa
    Day 5 : Boskam Gompa-Lodge 1850m
    Day 6 : Lodge 1850m- Pangom
    Day 7 : Paiya
    Day 8 : Jorsale (or something else, but certainly not Phakding)
    Day 8 : Namche
    Day 9 : Thame
    Day 10 : Thame
    Day 11 : Marulung/Lungden
    Day 12 : Renjo to Gokyo
    Day 13 : Gokyo
    Day 14 : approach Cho la
    Day 15 : Cho La-Lobuche
    Day 16 : Lobuche-Kala Pattar-Lobuche
    Day 17 : Lobuche-Kongma La-Chukhung
    Day 18 : Chukhung
    Day 19 : somewhere near Pang Boche
    Day 20 : Phortse
    Day 21 : Namche
    Day 22 : Lukla
    Day 23 : Fly-out
    Day 24 : spare
    Day 25 : spare

Many thx,
    Tom

Default Re: Tumlingtar-Namche-3 passes-Lukla

The recommended itinerary goes counter-clockwise, because then you do not need to stay in Marlung/Lungden for two nights to acclimate (which you are not planning: dangerous), but can do the acclimatization part in comfortable lodges all the way to Chukhung.

In your plan you have 3 days for Chukhung - Namche, which can be done in one long day.

Tumlingtar to Namche sounds good.
    Its up and down all the way til you meet the main trail (at Bupsa or alternatively at Puiyan. So its hard to push it and logical stop are fairly obvious. Tough walk especially from Tumlingtar up 3000m to Salpa La. Phedi to Sanam would be a tough day out. Can be very hot on the Arun at any time of year.
    Boksom Gompa is a lovely spot with a newish lodge.
    Assume Lodge 1850 is Najingdigma?
    Staying on the 'high' trail (stay right) from Pangum to Puiyan(Paiya) is recommended, although its a bit in and out of valleys. Avoids losing too much height and has good views. Very rarely touristed. You end up in Puiyan via a trail down an old landslide.
    No tent required.
    Lovely walk.
    Last edited by rich; 9th April 2014 at 05:47 PM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Thank you for all replies.

Rich, Lodge 1850 is the one mentioned by into-thin-air. I guess it's Najingdingma. I know is a rather tough schedule... I hope to find somewhere an up-to-date list of all lodges and teahouses of the Tumlingtar-Paiya stretch or other trip reports... combined wit McGuinness "trekking in the Everest region" in order to have some idea.

Yes Petrus, I know for acclimatization its better to go anti-clockwise.
    But this I already did in 2011. IMO the views from west to east are better than fhe opposite, so I would like to do the not recommended option.
    Jorsale to Namche is easy, so maybe I'll continue till Thami or Thamo, then next day easy walk to Thame, the day after excursion from Thame into the valley direction Trashi Lapcha, next day to Lungden or Marulung. But indeed for safety reasons : one extra day in Lungden or Marulung...

Thx,
    Tom

Thame is not a lot higher than Namche and I would have thought staying the three nights - Namche-Thame-Thame - would have been okay, especially as you will have been up high crossing the three passes from Tumlingtar. It's a routine we've used on three treks in Khumbu, but then we've usually headed back from Thame to Khumjung bypassing Namche and then on round to Phortse. Don't underestimate the hike in from Tumlingtar - it's pretty relentless.
    * thesilvertops *

Najingdingma is 2650m
    The 1850m lodge is puzzling i don't recall it from 2008 when last there. Although that is the altitude of the dramatic bridge crossing the Inukhu Khola.
    Anyway I sent you a PM and can offer you info on the route from circa 2008.
    Last edited by rich; 10th April 2014 at 06:38 PM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Hi Tom

I trekked the Arun Valley with into-thin-air and the lodge at 1850 (called 'Riverside', I think) is just beyond the bridge over the Inkhuwa. Pictures of it can be seen on Rob's blog, towards the end of the slide show:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/vv/6279/

It's a basic affair like so many before the trail meets with the busier Jiri to Lukla one. Sleep takes place on the benches in the dining room but are comfortable enough after a day's trekking.

The lodge keeper at Najingdingma (who irked Rob's with the 750 rupee pot of kala chiya) told us the lodge was 3 hours away to try and persuade us to stay but it was little more than an hour. Beyond there it's a stiff-ish climb to Sibuje.

As you might have read, we stayed there shortly after the lodge owner's wife died in childbirth and he was in the midst of grief. I had a portable printer with me and managed, despite a dodgy battery, to print a couple of credit card sized photos of the man and his baby daughter. I think he might appreciate larger prints. To this end, I wonder if I could ask a favour?

If I sent you digital photos, could you get prints in KTM and give them to him as you pass through (or stay)? I'll cover your costs and a beer or two (somehow).

Thanks

scoodly

scoodly

Hi Scoodly, certainly I can give these prints, no prob and no cost ...
    But I have to mention that the trek will be in March 2015 and It's when I'm alone (with a guide) that I walk from Tumlingtar. If my wife decides to join me...it will be from Jiri (as she wants a little more comfort).
    I think the overall height gain-loss is similar to Jiri-Lukla but the distance is longer.

This is a provisional (and hard) schedule

Day 1 : Tumlingtar-2u30-Chewa besi-Kartike Pul-30’-Balawa
    Sagarmatha Lodge (20’) Marduna(-Charlisay) : 5h30 walk
    So I hope to fly-in early :-)

Day 2 : 90’ Gothe bazaar-45’-Lankuwa-45’ Dobani -2u Doban : 5 h walk

Day 3 : 60’ Palha-Tendor-Phedi (2u30) Jau Bari -45’-Guranse-60’Salpa Bhanjangpas-90’Whaka : 6h 45 walk

Day 4 : 60'-’Sanam-50’-Nimtsola-120’-Gudel -75’-Bung-120’-Gompa Lodge- Boksom : 7h05 walk

Day 5 : 90’Surke La- 60’Najing Dingma-45’-Gai Kharka-2u30-Shubuche-60’Satu la-75’-Pang Kongma : 8h walk

Day 6 : 90’Bupsa-2u30-Puyian-2u Surke

Day 7 :Toktok

Day 8 : Namche

Quote Originally Posted by MAKO BEAST View Post
    Day 1 : Tumlingtar-2u30-Chewa besi-Kartike Pul-30’-Balawa
    Sagarmatha Lodge (20’) Marduna(-Charlisay) : 5h30 walk
    So I hope to fly-in early :-)

Day 2 : 90’ Gothe bazaar-45’-Lankuwa-45’ Dobani -2u Doban : 5 h walk

Day 3 : 60’ Palha-Tendor-Phedi (2u30) Jau Bari -45’-Guranse-60’Salpa Bhanjangpas-90’Whaka : 6h 45 walk

Day 4 : 60'-’Sanam-50’-Nimtsola-120’-Gudel -75’-Bung-120’-Gompa Lodge- Boksom : 7h05 walk

Day 5 : 90’Surke La- 60’Najing Dingma-45’-Gai Kharka-2u30-Shubuche-60’Satu la-75’-Pang Kongma : 8h walk

Day 6 : 90’Bupsa-2u30-Puyian-2u Surke
    May I ask what are those 90', 60' etc? I don't understand.

Are you sure there is a lodge now at Gothe Bazaar? As I understand it the old
    one there was swept away by a flooding river last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    May I ask what are those 90', 60' etc? I don't understand.

Are you sure there is a lodge now at Gothe Bazaar? As I understand it the old
    one there was swept away by a flooding river last year.
    Hi Lars, these are the approx walking times in minutes...based on Jamie Mc Guinness "trekking in the Everest region".

Don't know if the lodge at Gothe Bazaar is still open... the villages where there is accommodation are based on several reports (found on internet)...some recent, some somewhat older.

Better not to rely on lodging at Gothe Bazaar then.

Thx

Tom