Thread: Big boots or not so big boots?

Default Big boots or not so big boots?

I have a pair of full on Salomon climbing boots and with crampon plates in the soles (not used for a few years but good nick). Look like these-

They weigh 2.2 Kg for the pair so quite heavy. Also 15 years old and been in a cupboard for 12 years so glue might have dried out etc. but they seem OK. They were waterproof 15 years ago.

I also have a pair of cheap trek shoes like these:

They are cheap and light (only 600 grams for the pair). they are brand new so glue is fresh. They are not waterproof.

The big shoes are heavy and pain in the ass for casual wear. the small shoes are comfy but not sturdy or waterproof.

Which should I bring for Annapurna circuit. Can you get shoes repaired or buy shoes on the circuit if your fail?

I am leaving next weekend so opinions asap if possible - thanks!

Default Re: Big boots or not so big boots?

What are conditions like right now at Thorung La pass?

Is there snow?

Is there an online guide that is updated every day with conditions at the various points on the circuit?

(Admin:- Suggest maybe a 'Gear' sub-forum would be good)

15th March there was lots of snow after high camp and all the way down the other side to Muktinath - wish i had the crampons.
    but us Aussies not real good walking on the snow.
    Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Rosso.

I do also have crampons although I was not thinking of bringing them. I had not heard of anyone using crampons for Thorung La.

Looking at that snow my light trekking shoes are probably not up to the job. Looks like the pain-in-the-ass massive boots might be the better option.

Although it will be late April by the time I get there so might not be so bad then.

If you have a porter then taking the heavier shoes might make sense. If you plan to walk all the way with them or carry them, no.

I have walked AC 4 times with light joggers or trail runners. Once in snowstorm, in places there was snow up to my armpits. I had wool socks and plastic bags over them to keep snow away. Worked perfectly.