Thread: TIMS Permit buy on route

Default TIMS Permit buy on route

I am doing Aannapurna circuit in April.

I understand that TIMS permits and the other one are sold from the tourist office in KTM but it is a bit of a trek from Thamel.

I also understand if you don't have a TIMS permit the first officer to check will make you buy one for double price. Correct?

I think standard price is $20

Double price would be $40

Personally I would rather pay $40 for the convenience of not having to trail all the way to the tourist office in KTM and waste half of my only sight-seeing day in KTM.

What problems does anybody see with this idea?

(...why don't they sell these permits in the tourist area?!...)

Default Re: TIMS Permit buy on route

is there nowhere in Besisahar that you can buy these things?

You can get TIMS from Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu. Its about 20 minute walk form Thamel so it shouldn't take long.

You can buy Annapurna Trekking permit and TIMS card (trekking permit) at Nepal Tourism Board building at Brikuti Mandap/Kathmandu. It is about 20 minutes walk from Thamel (Tourist junction). Annapurna trekking permit fee is NR2000 and TIMS card is US$20 for free individual trekker. Passport copies and 4 pp size photos require buying Annapurna and TIMS card (trekking permits). It good idea to manage trekking permits before you are heading to AC Trek. Otherwise, you have to pay double price NR4000 for Annapurna Trekking permit in Besishar (AC trail head).

(...why don't they sell these permits in the tourist area?!...)
    I guess corruption . park rangers would pocket and ACAp would lose the money .

is there nowhere in Besisahar that you can buy these things?
    No or yesbut pay double . Its fairly simple to do in Kathmandhu or was when i was there .

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Mr. Mojo Risin' (anagram of "Jim Morrison") ...??? TIMS you cannot get on route and parkfee will be double when you don't have any, easy as that. On Evererest you can buy your park entree ticket at the gate and they don't charge you double.
    Since most of trekkers arrive in Kathmandu or when coming from India in Pokhara, there are two options.....Kathmandu or Pokhara! Right!

You don't have to pay US $ 40 as a penalty for Tims card because you can buy a permit and Tims card in Besi Sahar. Have a safe journey to Annapurna Circuit Trail.

OK thanks for all replies

Too me the bigger question is why the heck the immigration office is way the heck out there, decades ago it was in Thamel, where the tourists actually were...

To get to the point though, you can walk or get a taxi to the tourist office just beyond the old bus station and get your permits---park card and TIMS w/o too much inconvenience or time....they have really improved the overall experience the last few yrs.