Thread: Transit through Delhi question

Default Transit through Delhi question

Will be first time in Nepal, just wanted to ask about travelling europe-delhi-kathmandu. I will be flying into Delhi- I presume you dont need a Visa or anything to go through Delhi airport and change? On the return I cant find any copnnections which involve short breaks between flights all seem to be very long so I might stay one night in Delhi- I presume I would need an Indian visa for this? Just checkin,thanks for feedback...

Default Re: Transit through Delhi question

Yes, you will need a visa if you want to get out of the airport.
    Beware of your luggage handling in the Delhi airport. If you check your luggage through (having booked on one single booking, or with the same airline) it wil probably be ok. But if you book online (say) with two different airlines, implying you have to pick your luggage up and check it in with the other airline, it might be a bit cumbersome. I did this in 2007 and 2008, and it was not fun. At some stage I had to look for my luggage, had to be allowed to cross outside the international zone, it was a bit of a pain. Things have probably improved, I am not sure. But the Indian request you have a visa, does not make it easy.

I might make it sound bad, but it was just annoying and time consuming. I guess I I would not have found my luggage in time for boarding the next airline, it would have been bad...
    My advice is to book and check your luggage all the way through, at least on the way to KTM.

Regarding the visa process for the return, do it in advance, not last minute.
    yakshaver

Not sure if you're already gone, but know there's a transit hotel in the Delhi airport with nice rooms:

http://www.newdelhiairport.in/eaton-smart.aspx

johnapril thanks that could be really useful ta. btw im thinkin of bookin a flight its basically flyin to brussels then just 1.5 hr gap till the delhi flight with jet airways. is 1.5 hrs a big enough gap in case of a delay with my flight to brussels? i presume they wouldnt hold the flight for you if u were late. sorry not such an experienced flyer