Thread: Down Jacket warmth

Default Down Jacket warmth

Hi, another dumbish question showing my novice like silliness. So what is a 'warm' down jacket if I was trekking on the Guerilla trek in start April? I looked at one on internet shop it said '550 loft'. That means you can go into peoples lofts at a height of 550 ft? Surely no....

and also what sort of sleeping bag do I need? cheers dudes and dudettes...
    Last edited by intrepid; 26th January 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Default Re: Down Jacket warmth

Loft describes how much air volume the down contains and therefore how warm it is for its weight. 550 is the Fill power, the higher the number the greater the volume for its weight and also describes the quality and also price of the down. 550 is pretty low quality. Most jackets will be 650 at least. Everything you need to know is here http://www.shop-denali.com/down_fill_power.aspx

What you should be more concerned with is the temperature rating of a bag Or jacket. A 550 fill power jacket may have the same temperature rating as a 800 fill jacket but the latter will contain less down for the same volume and be lighter and more expensive.

Personally for that trek at that Time of year I would get a bag rated to -5 or -10 centigrade. The max height seems to be 4000m for that trek, not that high. A lightweight down jacket will be fine, if you are camping a medium weight may be better. You don't need anything too full on. As for what fill power and weight? Well that depends on how much you want to spend and perhaps how much use it will get and whether you want to carry your own gear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Default Re: Down Jacket warmth

Brilliant thanks Escher...