Thread: Avoiding Strikes, Crowds etc

Default Avoiding Strikes, Crowds etc

Hi All, I'm arriving in Nepal on the 21st with my son. I've only just become aware of the upcoming general election on the 19th of enforced bandh leading up to the election... i can imagine it may spill over post-election as well?

I was planning on trekking ABC, but now not so sure...that was always going to be a bit tight timewise (~9days for the trek) given our less than optimum fitness level.

Wondering whats the best strategy of avoiding strike impacts and other unrest.

We could potentially fly direct on to Pokhara (we arrive around midday) avoiding travel into KTM and giving us an extra day. Then again I was thinking perhaps doing Langtang instead of ABC and taking a private car to Syrabrusi and back from Dhunche (avoiding a lot of shuttling around in KTM and Pokhara airports etc).

Was also wondering with the shortage of flights to Lukla if ABC might get a bit crowded and maybe Langtang a better option?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Default Re: Avoiding Strikes, Crowds etc

I arrive 18th (in case you thought your timing was poor !) I have been aware of the election date for many months but decided to just stay with that date. I made it in from a trek and out to the airport at the height of the 2006 trouble. In those days it was ok to take taxis with 'tourist only' on them. The previous year I recall I took a bus from the domestic back into Thamel, recall it was outside with a similar sign so we jumped on. This issue is road transport. I would stay with the internal flight to Pokhara, they were not interrupted, just give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport.

That said I expect the biggest issues BEFORE and on the day, not after. As I read its about disruption of the election, action to protest its outcome may come later. If your timetable is real tight you may need to be prepared to change plans at the last minute. Once on trek these things seem to have little or no impact unless they are quite prolonged.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulia View Post
    I arrive 18th (in case you thought your timing was poor !) I have been aware of the election date for many months but decided to just stay with that date. I made it in from a trek and out to the airport at the height of the 2006 trouble. In those days it was ok to take taxis with 'tourist only' on them. The previous year I recall I took a bus from the domestic back into Thamel, recall it was outside with a similar sign so we jumped on. This issue is road transport. I would stay with the internal flight to Pokhara, they were not interrupted, just give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport.

That said I expect the biggest issues BEFORE and on the day, not after. As I read its about disruption of the election, action to protest its outcome may come later. If your timetable is real tight you may need to be prepared to change plans at the last minute. Once on trek these things seem to have little or no impact unless they are quite prolonged.
    Thanks Boulia, that helps a lot. I do hope it doesn't affect you too much, but sounds like you've already had some experience. This will be my third trip to Nepal but I've thus far luckily avoided any disruptions other than getting tangled up in a street-march in the early 90's. Sounds like Langtang (given need for road transport) might be a less good option than sticking to my original plan... i tend to favour that as I'd cope better with disruption to something I'd always planned than if I changed to avoid something and as a result dumped myself right in it :-)

Sorry, just posted the info below separately, but thought to get your ideas here too:

Nepal-wide strike/bandh starts Monday 11 November

Hi all would-be trekkers.

I had confirmed yesterday that a nationwide strike starts on Monday 11 November and at this stage continues until 20-21 November, with the elections being on Tuesday 19 November.

It is not clear yet whether this is a total transport strike (eg not even bicycles or tourist transport) or not.

For those who have not had their treks disrupted in the past, usually airlines still fly and sometimes you can get taxis to and from Kathmandu airport, it depends on who is calling the shots. It can be personally dangerous for taxi-drivers who try to do the right thing for you - they may be hauled out of their taxi and beaten up. Hotels are usually discreet but continue to provide services, including meals, although it can give you indigestion if a mob come in and wave their lathis at the owners for daring to serve you food.

Once you get away trekking there are usually no problems at all. The problem is getting to and from the trek.

The advice to strikers on one of the several strike websites is to try to beat up Press and Media early so that reinforces fear and makes the strike more effective. Usually conditions are relaxed bit-by-bit after the first few days, once they have established their power, and more tourist movement is facilitated.

Please share any news you come across here.

cheers

Taghairm

Hi, I bet you are already on your way to trek. There is nothing to worry about this time. There are no plans for strikes or anything like that. You can safely visit Nepal and go on trekking in Nepal.