Thread: Guerrilla Trek when?

Default Guerrilla Trek when?

Im interested in doing the Guerrilla trek from Beni to Sulichaur. What would be a good time to do this to in the opinion of experienced trekkers? I would like to see plants in bloom, not too cold weather. Is it still possible in early December or is March a better option? any thoughts appreciated..

Default Re: Guerrilla Trek when?

December is winter so the plants aren't going to be at their best. The rhododendrons will be in full bloom later in March and in April. The middle hill forests are beautiful at that time of year, with magnolia also in bloom and the sweet smell of jasmine everywhere in the mornings. March is definitely better than December.

Rhododendron forest late in March
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Escher, thanks so much what a superb picture...end of march/april sounds great.

Yes, I would do March too. Maybe later rather than earlier.
    yakshaver

Rhodo bloom perhaps, but have to put up with the haze March April
    Temperatures might be nice in December at lower alts and quiter/less foriegn bods in the tourist haunts.
    Otherwise March or December are good bets.
    April?...well the haze build-up has been a problem for me. Perhaps you are not there for the mountain views.
    Last edited by rich; 1st November 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Thats got me thinking. So April is pretty hazy. Would that suggest then late March as the optimium for that time of year or will I miss out on plants in flower etc? I do like Photography so thats a consideration....