Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness

Default Re: Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by kegarne View Post
    Well I guess some people like to be self-sufficient and possibly don't want to pay for someone elses services to carry their own gear.
    Also, if you plan on doing any kind of trekkingpeaks then you better get used to having to lug your own gear otherwise your chances of success at altitude will be compromised.
    Of course, I totally agree. That, AND if someone holds a gun to my head.
    yakshaver

My last trek up to ABC I carried my own kit and I'm average fit for a 51 year old woman. Altitude sickness can kick in at 2000m for some unlucky people, average I'd say is 3000m, it does may you feel rough, but if you stick to the rules you can counteract it, usually.

Like everything, the more effort you put into preparation the more you will get out of it. If you have the time get out and do some hills, you can't go wrong, believe me it's the coming down as well as the going up, in fact going up is easier!

Hey, how did we get replying on a post from 2013?

Oh well! I have nothing better to do today...
    Last edited by julia; 19th September 2014 at 08:39 PM.

[QUOTE Hey, how did we get replying on a post from 2013?

Oh well! I have nothing better to do today...[/QUOTE]

I have a lot of better things to do today, no offense. I am just procrastinating...
    yakshaver

I look forward to carrying my own full back pack in Nepal. I enjoy the physical fitness part of it, the personal challenge, the feeling of accomplishment it gives, and I appreciate the break from my running and working out at home.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    I look forward to carrying my own full back pack in Nepal. I enjoy the physical fitness part of it, the personal challenge, the feeling of accomplishment it gives, and I appreciate the break from my running and working out at home.
    See? This is exactly the problem with working out at home! You feel the express urge to carry your own pack in Nepal... Anyone else see this somewhat disturbing parallel? It seems obvious to me.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 22nd September 2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added some stuff
    yakshaver

I plead guilty, but my rationalization is that this particular addiction is certainly better than most others......

It's a bit odd wanting to carry your own pack to some, i like a challenge, and carrying a heavier pack than you are used to is challenging up a steep incline at altitude. But you do get used to it, and as the trek goes on, it just seems normal to put it on your back each morning.

When you take it off when you stop you feel as light as a feather, or you may be flat on the floor saying help me someone, anyone help!

Roger_ray it is good to be conscious of one's rationalizations. They say...
    I am not sure I would be willing to uncover all mine, especially related to shaving yaks...

Julia, I see. So basically it is the negative reinforcement of the elation you feel when you unload your bag... Light as a feather... Sounds like full body massage to me. Interesting. I might try it. But not on trek, or not just yet, as I might get into shock. Or the Nepalis and other trekkers will be in shock if I do full body massage as we stop for tea somewhere between Jorsale and Namche.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 24th September 2014 at 07:29 AM.
    yakshaver

Yakshaver,

It seems you 'doth protest too much'! - you really would like to be able to shift your own pack but alas those days are gone, is that it?

Ha Ha, I am almost 'past it' myself but I too choose not to carry my own pack - it is a slight moral dilemma which I accept as just walking upright at altitude is enough of a challenge for me...

Quote Originally Posted by leephee View Post
    Yakshaver,

It seems you 'doth protest too much'! - you really would like to be able to shift your own pack but alas those days are gone, is that it?

Ha Ha, I am almost 'past it' myself but I too choose not to carry my own pack - it is a slight moral dilemma which I accept as just walking upright at altitude is enough of a challenge for me...
    Exactly... you found me leephee... I used to carry 25-30 kg for one week to two week mountain walks, including tents and food, and my wife's 3kg toiletry Chanel metal make up set, but these days have loooooooooooong passed.
    yakshaver