Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest info on Tims

Default Latest info on Tims

I am in Kathmandu now and plan to do a short trek in Helambu. I assume I will need a Tims, and want to get it tomorrow, Friday.

But I can't remember where it is you get it, nor what will be required in the form of photographs and money.

I checked the FAQ, but the info I found there is rather dated. The links I checked all lead to posts from 2007, wherein for instance one prominent member of this board tells us that Tims can be had from an office behind Fire & Ice. That was certainly quite long since.

No, I do not avail myself of either trekking agents nor a guide.

Default Re: Latest info on Tims

I've only got a TIMS card from Pokhara the last couple of times 2012 and 2008, the last time I went to the KTM office it was behind Fire and Ice but that was 2006 so I don't know if it is still there.

However TIMS in 2012 for someone without a guide was $20, required two photos (2 photos for the ACAP or NP paperwork too) and as well as the normal passport and ID details they want fictitious or otherwise details of your travel insurance. I didn't have the latter with me and didn't think TIMS was going to do much for me if I fell down a hole so I made it up. It's not like they check.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Hi Folks
    We arrive in KMD in less than 2 weeks , we will be bringing 4 passport photos with us 2 for visa in airport , 1 for Tims and 1 for Sagamartha pass
    Am I right with this do I need more or less than 4 has anybody got up to date info on this ?
    Cheers Folks

I think you need more, each bit of paperwork has one on their copy and one on yours, therefore six per person. With digi cameras and any printer these days it's easy to do your own.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

When Googling this subject I found a couple of mentions of a Nepal Tourism Board office right here in Thamel, somewhere near Kathmandu GH. But when looking for it last night I could not find.

Will report back here if I do.

Where and how to obtain a TIMS Card?

Free Individual Trekkers:

Free Individual Trekkers can obtain TIMS cards ($20 per trekker) at the offices of Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) at Brikutimandap in Kathmandu and Pokhara, TAAN Secretariat at Maligaon and TAAN Pokhara Secretariat in Pokhara upon filling the TIMS application firm.

Organized Trekkers:

Trekking companies will collect trekkers’ data and enter it in the central database and will provide trekkers with a TIMS card after paying fee ($10 per trekker).

I guess that opening Hour/s in Dashain Festival (11th of October to 18th of October 2013) at 10AM to 12PM. Note:- TIMS counter might closed on 14th of October because it is very important day of the Dashain Festival.

Documents Required:

- To obtain TIMS Card you need copy of:

a) Passport

b) two (2) Passport-size Photographs.
    Last edited by sirdar; 11th October 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Big cyclone headed for India so expect rain to hit the Himalaya during your trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Sager View Post
    Big cyclone headed for India so expect rain to hit the Himalaya during your trek.
    Yes, big rains were there!

Lars
    Kathmandu

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Yes, big rains were there!

Lars
    Kathmandu
    Hows the weather over there in case you are still in Kathamandu. Any news on Lukla flight? I will be there on sunday,

Weather is lovely now in Kathmandu. Sunny and warm days, somewhat cool nights.

When the fringes of the cyclone were over the area Lukla flights were cancelled. But with the present weather I assume they are up and running.