Thread: EBC layering question - advice appreciated! :)

Default EBC layering question - advice appreciated! :)

Hello all,

I'm planning on doing the EBC 3 passes trek on mid September, and I'm simply not sure if my warm clothing will be enough!

I plan on taking: ss merino base, ls merino midweight, patagonia r1, mh ghost whisperer down jacket (no hood).

Will that be enough or do I need some sort of lightweight synthetic insulation as well? (nano-puff style)

Thanks very much!

Default Re: EBC layering question - advice appreciated! :)

You may be a little cold at night in that combination but having said that, you're trekking in September which will be warmer. If would only be an issue for 2-3 nights if it was an issue.

I've only been up there in December when it's quite cold. If you like to push things a bit and don't mind a couple of colder nights then go for it. If you like to sit around outside taking photos and prefer to be quite comfortable then I would go for a slightly heavier weight down jacket.

Hey spaceman,

I don't have any other down jackets so I'll have to make do with the one I got.
    If it's the problem is really only with 2-3 nights I guess I can risk being a little cold

Thanks very much!

You're definitely not going to be at any risk of freezing with the clothing that you mentioned. You could always wrap your sleeping bag around your shoulders if you're struggling.

As insulation that should be enough, but do not forget a (light) shell jacket also. Winds might be high, rain is almost certain.

Hey petrus,

Thanks very much - I actually just picked up a light wind jacket, so that fits perfectly with your advice