Thread: Mad in April

Default Mad in April

Hi guys - am heading back to Nepal (6th visit) and I normally go in February when it's nice and quiet. Next year I need to go in April. Has anyone had experience of doing the Jiri to Gokyo in April? I see by the stat. board at the park entrance that numbers increase 10x over Feb. Would I need to book lodges ahead? - is the trail crowded? - I'm so used to having the place to myself that it's going to be strange if there's hundreds of people around. Also - has anyone ever flown into Jiri? There is an airstrip there but I think it's unused.

How are you Yakshaver - good to see you're still involved with the board.

Default Re: Mad in April

Its quite busy above Lukla.. dont think lodge booking is needed if you get in a bit early you should get a lodge. I walked from Lukla down to Salleri this May as the Lukla flights were cancelled - this is also part of the Jiri to Lukla route upto Ringmo - really beautiful and no crowds what so ever - just met around 8 to 10 trekkers on the way! Highly recommend it - no flights to Jiri only road!
    Hope this helps you!

April is a very busy month. Book your flights in advance for Khumbu, and assume there will be cancellations, and delays due to the weather, plus the additional issue of more tourists, as it is high season.
    But you'll know all this if you've been there six times.

You cannot book lodges, or not the normal ones. Maybe you can book the likes of Everest View hotel at Syangpoche, but few trekkers do that.
    However.... depending on how good your guide is (mine is!) they can call good lodges ahead, and reserve rooms for you. I do this with Hotel Namche in Namche Bazaar, as I like to stay there (more expensive, but worth it, for me).

In April 2010, when I trekked with a friend to ABC, I saw for the first time people being told there is no room at a lodge (Himalaya Lodge). They continued on to Dovan late in the afternoon, and tired as..., since Dovan has a number of lodges.
    I am guessing that if the distance would have been more than a couple of hours, the lodge owner at Himalaya Lodge would have made some arrengements for them to still sleep there, maybe in the lounge etc.
    I think we can fly to Jiri, but only by helicopter.
    yakshaver

Thank you guys for the replies - I truly wish I was going in February. Thanks for the ideas - I don't take a guide as I know my way blindfolded - Interesting idea to walk down to Saleri - not sure where that is but will look it up..
    Am thinking of walking in March with one friend and then repeating in April with another - have never experienced the crowds that people talk about - wish me luck!

Hi

Salleri is the largest town in the Solu/Khumbu region and is interesting to observe a slice of real Nepali life after a trek.

To get there head south at Ringmo on the Jiri trail on a level track through forest and farmland. It took me 3 hours to Paphlu (where the airport is) and just another 20 minutes or so to Salleri.

The main trails were certainly busy in early April last year but no problem finding a room - only one lodge I approached was full. Setting off early in the morning was a sufficient tactic - a few lodges became full, notably at Gorak Shep and Gokyo. All up, no problems.

Once on the Jiri section it was quiet again (we trekked in via Arun Valley which was fantastic) and I saw only two travellers at Phaplu, none at Salleri.

scoodly

Thanks Scoodly,

I flew out of Phaplu once with an injured mate - Saleri sounds interesting - I'm probably going to do a double trip this coming year with two people so will have to entertain myself for a couple of weeks waiting for the second person to come. Might go and visit Saleri - thanks for the advice on the trekker numbers - Will definitely take your tip of leaving early - by the by - you don't know of a way to get to Jiri that doesn't involve a $180 taxi ride. I know about the bus but I get too travel sick for those..

Thanks again

Taupo

Hi
    You're welcome.

For the trip to Jiri, all I can suggest is to hook up with others to split the cost of a jeep. Maybe out details on here and trekkingpartners.com.

Good luck.

scoodly