Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three passes

Default Three passes

Hi,

me and my girlfriend were in Nepal last year and did Anapurna Circuit trek.

This year we would like to do Three passes trek and I would like to know some more information.

Is it necessary to book flight ticket in advance? We would like to spend in KT just one day to buy all permits and arrange flight ticket to Lukla, so is it possible?

As our budget is really low I would like to know if the price for lodges, food etc.. is more expensive than on AC?

Also I would appreciate any good tips which you can provide me.

Many thanks,

Tomas

Default Re: Three passes

Hello,

If you are looking Lukla flight in October or November, book earlier in advance. You can arrange trekking permit a day before. But, you might not get ticket for Lukla flight a day before in October and November because of crowed in peak trekking season.

The price for lodge and food is little bit more expensive in Everest/Khumbu than AC Trek.

Like sirdar says, you'd be well advised to book flights in advance, perhaps with someone like Tara Air (mountain flying brand of Yeti Airlines) who has a number of flights per day. Therefore there is a better chance to fly.
    Also, make sure you have a few days in reserve, as flying to Lukla and back is a notorious route for flights being cancelled because of weather/visibility.
    yakshaver

Thank you very much for your advices. I have another question we are thinking about going to Chitwan or perhaps to another place where we can relax after trekking. So do you have any ideas?

Chitwan or Pokhara is more popular places for relaxing in Nepal. Bandipur is also good place. Please have a look more information about Bandipur at www.bandipure.com

Hi again,

I would like to know how much cost permits for three passses? Weve found this information but is just for EBC trek do we need another permits? Sagamartha National Park Permit 3000 Nepalese Rupees ($33) and a TIMS card 2000NPR if trekking independently.

Also we are arriving to Nepal 5th of September and we would like to departure to Lukla 6th of September and we dont know if its better to book it in advance or in KTH. ( in case some problem with luggague during the flight or something else... it may happen that we need to pospon it)

and the last question our budget is 300$ per person ( flight ticket and permit excluded ) do you think is it enough? Were not going to hire guide or porter.

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

The permits are the same for the three passes trek as EBC. As you say, it's 3000 rupees for the park ticket but slightly different for the TIMS card; it's priced at $20 but payable in rupees - they will use that day's exchange rate for the calculation so the exact rupee rice will vary.

It might be possible to book a Lukla flight for the following day but there is no guarantee. If seats are available they are likely to be on the later flights which are more likely to be cancelled because of adverse weather. Cloud cover tends to build up as the day progresses meaning flights can be cancelled. Early September is still monsoon tome (usually) and delays and cancellations are common. If you are on a tight schedule this is something to bear in mind. I suggest booking a flight before you get to Nepal to ensure a seat on one of the first flights of the day. However, this is not as straightforward as it could be.

Daily costs vary from person to person but $25 per day is a ball park average and it's possible to trek for less and $20 is possible without being too frugal. How many days do you intend to trek for?

scoodly

Hi Scoodly,

thanks for your answer. We would like to make it approximately in 20days. As we know that our budget is really low we would like to make our own tea for the next day and sometimes cook our own food for lunch. So I hope that 300$ per person is ok for lodges, dinners, breakfast...

Hi

$15 per day for lodges, dinners and breakfasts. On the main EBC trail last spring my average daily cost was about $20 (including lunch) without trying too hard. I had mainly local meals of dal bhat, noodles and momos with mainly bread and eggs for breakfast. Avoiding meat and international style meals helps to keep the costs down as does not buying beer, fizzy drinks and chocolate.

Water choice is relevant too; using your own chemical treatment is cheapest, buying boiled wtaer on the lodges is the mid-range option and bottled water the most expensive (something like 600 rupees for a litre in Gorak Shep iirc.

Basic lodges cost 200 rupees per room last spring and I paid more than this once which was at GS too.

Good luck.

scoodly

Hi again,

thank you for all your kind reply.

I hope I have last questions. Ive booked ticket with to Lukla with Tara air and they asked me to send them copy of my credit card - both sides. Do anyone have experience with it? Im little bit worry about sending my cc details...

thank you

Tom