Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Mustang trek

Default Upper Mustang trek

Checked with an agency (think you have to go through an agency to go to Upper Mustang) and they say it would cost (including RT flight from Kathmandu to Jomsom & the $500 permit for beyond Kagbeni) $2,100 US dollars. This sounds pretty steep and does anyone know if it can be done cheaper? Thanks.

Default Re: Upper Mustang trek

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Goldrup View Post
    Checked with an agency (think you have to go through an agency to go to Upper Mustang) and they say it would cost (including RT flight from Kathmandu to Jomsom & the $500 permit for beyond Kagbeni) $2,100 US dollars. This sounds pretty steep and does anyone know if it can be done cheaper? Thanks.
    Yes Tom, you do have to go through an agency for the Lo Manthang trek. Not sure if it can be done much cheaper. Might send you a private message.
    The $500 permit is only for 10 days I belive. As we staid two days more than the minimum permit (visited some gompas near the Tibet border, on horseback - very nice!), we paid $600, as in 50/day extra.
    yakshaver

I hope you will find better deal. My suggestion, If you have time and friends try to make them book same trip you are on. Trekking alone is expensive for both trekker and organizer. Previously, for Mustang liaison officer was another extra person has to be paid. Guides are paid Kathmandu to Kathmandu and numbers staff an organizer needed is about same for one or ten trekkers. It sounds okay deal but make sure at least a guide is experience and speak good English. Also check food menu unless you can survive rice and cabbage everyday. With good guide and cook two most important ones. Do not drink too much local cider it will give you long lasting headache.

Hi

Just to confirm what Yakshaver has said. You must do at least 2 days over the basic 10 days so that you can do a trip north of Lo Manthang towards the Tibetan border. We made the same mistake and although we had a time enough in Lo Manthang they wouldn't let us do a hike north - "Not allowed with 10 day permit" was the excuse. What kind of trip are you doing? You don't have to do camping anymore as there are enough lodges now. So you could do it with a porter/guide.
    * thesilvertops *

Thanks Yakshaver and Silver Tops. My brother Jim and I would be going and the two extra days sound good. I know the guide that I would use (a Nepali friend that has trekked with us previously) and he is a good cook too. Just hope we can raise the $$$ to do it. I just reached the 70 mark but still fit and healthy enough to do it....I think. Tom.

Hi

Age is no problem. Just maintain a good fitness level. I was 70 last year and wouldn't hesitate to do a trek in Nepal. We're hoping to do the Grand Canyon crossing in October this year and some overnight hikes in Yosemite, etc.,
    * thesilvertops *

Hi

Age is no problem. Just maintain a good fitness level. I was 70 last year and wouldn't hesitate to do a trek in Nepal. We're hoping to do the Grand Canyon crossing in October this year and some backpacking in Yosemite, etc., Our biggest problem is getting insurance (at a reasonable cost).
    * thesilvertops *

You can check with some companies specially if you try local and not popular one then they can offer you much cheaper options.
    Good luck

Hi Tom

Agree with the other experienced ones writing here. My wife and I (now over 65) went there in early winter with just one guide (paid by the day and we paid for food and accommodation as we went along) and had the time of our life.

We didn't need the extra days because we were able to get a truck out DOWN the middle of the Kali Gandaki, in the river, through tunnels - the most amazing trip. Some track notes here http://fedup.com.au/images/stories/n...ustangTrek.pdf

The only trick is to be acclimatised so to enjoy the high country - we scooted over Thorung La just to get fit.

cheers

Taghairm

Thumbs up Re: Upper Mustang trek

yes i agree with previous post the trick is to go slow is just to acclimatise so if you come with Jeep back then you will not need extra days
    Good luck