Thread: Side Trippin' on the Annapurna circuit

Default Side Trippin' on the Annapurna circuit

I've read the sticky about Annapurna Sidetrips....great info.

I'm only gonna have about 10 days to trek. Anyways, with only 10 days I was thinking about staying on one side of the Thorung La and hit a lot of side trips, and maybe an out and back hike to Thorung La, or possibly another pass. So my options are:

1. Start at BesiSahar and hammer through the first 3-4 days until I reach Manang area, then eventually over the Thorung La, to Jomsom and catch a jeep back down to Pokhara.

2. Start at Besi Sahar and stay on that side of the Thorung La, hitting Tilicho Tal, the ice lakes, some gompas, Nar village, Upper Pisang, then back down to Besi Sahar.

3. HIke on the Kali Gandaki side staying on the "new annapurna circuit trails", then side tripping around Kagbeni, Lupra Valley, Dhunluhpadanda Pass (do I need a permit to go there?), Dhampus pass or Dhaulagiri icefall, etc....

4. Annapurna Sanctuary

I've hiked on the Jomsom side so I know how it looks, Manang is new to me and very intriguing. OK all you Nepal experts, what would you do if your time was limited to about 10 days.

I should add, this will be in mid to late March.
    Last edited by mtnbiker; 18th October 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: Side Trippin' on the Annapurna circuit

1) Besisahar is sooo nineties... Buses have been going to Bhulbhule for ages, and in a few days (road opens officially soon) you can take a jeep to Chame, which cuts 3 more days form the trek. Chame-Manang is just 2 longesh days or 3 leisurely ones. Still you have to take acclimatization into account, but still it is possible to get to Muktinath in about 6 days from Chame if you acclimate decently well. Thus: bus/jeep KTM-Chame 2 days, trek to Muktinath 6 days, jeep/bus to Pokhara 2 days: 10 days total.

2) Coming back from Tilicho Lake is considerably slower than just going across, either over Tilicho Tal route, or even Thorong La. Unless you use jeep from Chame t KTM, then it is about the same.

3) Good idea, sort of.

4) ABC is a fine short trek.

Not sure about the nineties, but I chuckled at that comment.... however I've not trekked in Nepal since '05, so yeah, a lot's changed.

It's hard to find much info on the Nar-Phu area, I'm interested in spending a few days there. Can anyone give me some info on that area?

I went to Naar-Pho in -09. It is restricted area: guide and special permit costing $70-90 or something per week. The shortest time you can visit it would be a 4 day trot: (Koto-)Meta-Naar-Ngawal-Koto, or Meta-Naar-Meta-Koto also 4 days. A waste of a good permit, I think, and Phugaon is much more interesting village anyway. Going there adds at least 3 days, preferably more. We spent 9 days there.

Picasa album from manaslu-NaarPho-Tilicho-ABC-EBC: https://picasaweb.google.com/1099586...eat=directlink

Naar-Pho section starts from picture #44.

I would like to not hire a guide, can you hire a porter to come along and that satisfy the permit requirements? I've never trekked with a guide or porter in Nepal, so would you mind offering an agency or 2 that I could check with.

Nice photos! I want to go even more now. That impenetrable river canyon looks amazing! Are you permitted to sleep in the huts or is a tent a must? Also, do the locals speak Nepali or Tibetan?

Also nice to see some photos of the trail to Tilicho Tal. Looks rather precarious in places....