Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guide book

Default New guide book

This may be of interest...
    New Trailblazer guide book

http://www.amazon.com/Nepal-Trekking.../dp/1905864310

Have not got a copy yet myself but most likely will pick one up.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Default Re: New guide book

Has been out for some time Rich - saw it in Pilgrims Kathmandu last year. Written by Robin Boustead covers the Great Himalaya Trail. It is very good and detailed.
    Sujoy

I received it as a gift. Lucky me. I needed a bow-tie, but I got this book instead. Still, I could think of worst books than the Trailblazer guide...
    yakshaver

This is a must have for all tourists going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodriff_A View Post
    This is a must have for all tourists going there.
    Agree. That and a bowtie.
    yakshaver

Here's another one: The Guerrilla Trek (aka, The Shangrila Trek)

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Trek...=guerilla+trek

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Here's another one: The Guerrilla Trek (aka, The Shangrila Trek)

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Trek...=guerilla+trek
    This is awesome!!! I have ordered it of Amazon.
    yakshaver

Hi

This guy, Alonzo Lucius Lyons, has been very busy and produced a whole set of books on Nepal trekking.

See here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...o+Lucius+Lyons

I was going to order one but it looks like half a dozen now.

Looking at the previews on Amazon there appears to be many pages that are common to all the books. The Tamang Heritage Trail preview shows you a large number of the pages but as far as I can see none of them show a preview of a trek page.
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 11th February 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    * thesilvertops *

Will let you know what I think when I get it. Whether you want it or not.
    yakshaver

I have it. I should say at the outset that the idea behind it - the GHT - was so inspiring for me that it made me quit my life for six month and walk across Nepal. Practically though, once on the trail, I found it mostly unhelpful. My criticism in short is that it covers so much that it covers none of it particularly well.

It divides Nepal into ten sections and covers the GHT for that section East to West in one block of text at the back of the section. Many nights I would read it after walking a particular section and still not understand the descriptions given. Maybe if I was going the other way it would be more helpful. A lot of the content is seasonal (although it doesn´t say this), in that it only holds true if you go to that area at the same time the author did. Whether a possible camp site has water or is too muddy etc will change enormously, so just make sure you keep that in mind when reading about lakes that have now dried up, ´permanent´water sources and camp sites too muddy to be useful. It would have been nice to know at what time of the year the author was in which place so that his assessments could be put into context.

But the book is not really about the GHT for the most part. Most of each section is taken up with describing a trek in that section. If you wanted to trek Anapurna or Everest, you´d be better off with the other trailblazer guides for those areas because this book has, in my view, not enough detail. In fact, if you had a particular trek in mind, you´d most likely be able to find better and more detailed information on that trek somewhere else. In trying to cover the whole of Nepal, I don´t think the book covers any part all that well. In trying to do so much it leaves out a lot of the detail that I would have liked to read about while on the trail.

It is helpful as a planning tool because it covers the whole of the Nepalese Himalayas and indicates where you can join on additional sections and make interesting combinations.

There are quite a few errors in the it, which I suppose in natural given that its a first edition - errors like altitudes and what not. Some of these are replicated in the companion maps.

Just my two cents.