Thread: Numbur Cheese Circuit

Default Numbur Cheese Circuit

Hi does anyone have any first-hand experience of the Numbur Cheese Circuit? In particular, will it be a feasible December/January trek? How did you find the standard trek timings that you see ad nauseum on many trek company websites? What were the campsites like?
    Any hints much appreciated!

Default Re: Numbur Cheese Circuit

Hi Paul,

I'm trekking there next week. Its approx 14 days trek with about 5 nights of camping, some of which >4000m. I'll ask my guide about how the pass closes over the winter. Stay tuned for 1st hand notes and info when I get back.

/Oli

Netherlands (55%), Nepal (40%) and France(5%) of the year

Thumbs up Re: Numbur Cheese Circuit

Hello Paul,

I think I was one of the first crossing Gyola in 1999. At that time there was no trail and we had to look the safest place to go down from the pass.
    December/January might give a problem when there is snow since it's quite steep down in the direction of Thare Og. Also the way from there up to Jyatha Pokhari is narrow on some sections. There are escapes, but you mis the best part of the trek.
    There are many options for this trekking, 14 days or more and including Pike Peak or not. If you start south of Pike Peak and crossing the Danda for a couple of days you might need 3 days more. We camped all the way long, but at some places it might be an option to have a home stay.
    We did the trekking last time in 2010 with a trekking agency from Kathmandu and a local from this' area. It's a very nice trek with hardly any other trekkers on the trail.
    Have a good trek.
    Harry

Thanks Harry.

I look forward to your trip report Oli, have a good trek!

Hi guys, I'm back from the trek and am glad to report that it was excellent fun, some great views despite the obligatory afternoon clouds the weather was (mostly) fine. In particular this trek was (by my standards) quite remote and strenuous - we saw no other trekkers for 10 days, and no locals for 5 days. Camping at altitude is far less comfortable that staying in a lodge or family homestay!

To answer Paul's specific question regarding Dec/Jan - its probably possible (my guide has done the trek around this time), but I don't think I'd recommend it. Besides Harry's comments on snow over the passes making route finding difficult, there might also be problems with water supply at some of the campsites (Mane Danda).

Now I'll give my itinerary and some random notes. Expect me to edit/update this post, I have a lot to say and am frequently hampered by powercuts as I compose my notes...

Day 1 : KTM to Shivalaya, guesthouse
    Day 2 : Khare, 2174m, homestay
    Day 3 : Pani Pakha, 3108m, camp
    Day 4 : Mane Danda, 3937m, camp
    Day 5 : Jata Pokhari, ????m, camp
    Day 6 : Tare Kharka, 4141m, camp
    Day 7 : Ngeju Kharka, 4325m, camp
    Day 8 : Lahaksewar, 2766m, homestay
    Day 9 : Kyama, 2254m, homestay
    Day 10: Gumdel, ????m, homestay
    Day 11: Serding, 3400m, homestay
    Day 12: Shivalaya, 1770m, guesthouse
    Day 13: Jiri, 1955m, guesthouse

Note that where I say "guesthouse" I mean "with menu", and "homestay" means "no menu" though it might be a sort of lodge or friends of my guide.

There are two quite tough/long days in there at the top end of the route, we had 6-7 hours of hard hiking between Jata Pokhari to Tare, and similar over Gyajo La to Ngeju. There is a local fair at the lakes in August, so the trail up to there is clearly defined (though not signposted). Locals dont often go over to Tare or over Gyajo La, but there is a good kharka and (during season) a couple of remote cheese factories.

The trail has had some initial development from ILO, with whom the locals are very pleased.

There are sturdy stone huts at the campsites, my crew did not need to use their tent, and we had good shelter for cooking dhal bhat (etc). Acutally, the huts at Ngeju are wood (its in the forest), and they really ought to build a decent hut at Khola Kharka as a great place to camp and thereby split one of the two tough days into easier ones.

Anyone considering this trek will need a guide and porters. My guide is from Bhandar so knows the area (and in particular has been round the circuit), we brought one porter from Kathmandu and got another from Shivalaya. Larger groups of trekkers will of course need more porters, every man needs food and shelter for a week, and there are a few tough climbs/days so don't overload the crew.

Sidenote (also applies to those heading for the Khumbu): if you get a bus direct from Kathmandu to Shivalaya then be sure to depart at 6am, if you get an 8am bus then you are likely to arrive after dark, and the stretch of road from Jiri to Shivalaya will be unreasonably arduous. They haven't finished building this track (we has to help clear some boulders) and I adjusted my return to walk to Jiri and avoid it!

I'll post some updates & edits later....

[Harry: '99? wow! ]

Oli thanks a bundle for your information. We are going to be a party of 4 adults and 6 kids so this trek sounds unsuitable for the time of year. You have maybe saved us a load of hassle, so thanks again. However, it's a trek that is still on my list of "to do's".

We have looked at our maps and reconsidered our plans and have decided to do a trek Jiri - Junbesi-Thobden Choling -Trakshindo-Paphlu-Pikey Peak-Jiri (approximately) so a mix of lodges and camping, it looks pretty cool. Junbesi on Christmas day. I quite like the idea of exploring Solu a bit, rather than just shooting through to get to Namche and points above.

Enjoy KTM!