Thread: Annapurna trekking question

Default Annapurna trekking question

Hi,

My friends and me decided to do a Annapurna trekking next month (end of august, beginning of september). We wanted to do the annapurna circuit 1 trekking Chame-Manang-Thorung La-Jomsom and preferably including the trek to Phu + the trekking to Tilicho Lake. We want to do this as fast as possible without suffering from altitute sickness. I've read you can take a bus to Chamje (and maybe even further) because the first part is more rain and less interesting? +trek to Phu takes a week but you spare some of the original circuit and Tilicho lake is about 3 days? So I thought this is doable in let's say 15-16 days? What do you guys think?

thx for answering!!

gz Freddy from Belgium

Default Re: Annapurna trekking question

Btw, only teahousetrekking. I just read Phu can be done as teahouse but you have to take big distances a day since only few villages have a teahouse. thx

Trekking in Na-Phu requires extra permits, semi-restricted access mean that you'll most probably need an agent to assist with the logistics, including a guide etc, teahouses are not as established as on the main trails. The bus probably wont go as far along the road as you might like, the construction is in sections that might not be well connected (especially after monsoon rains take their toll on the more precarious points), you might be able to find some 4x4 or local transport to take you higher.

Besides the fact that the Marshyangdi river valley is quite lovely an offers some very nice teahouse trekking despite the road, there is also the benefit for acclimatisation. Whether or not you visit Na-Phu you should ensure that you are suitably well acclimatised to the altitude at Manang before proceeding up to Tilicho or the pass. When I was in Manang last spring the HRA doctors told us of a case of a local Manang guy who had spent a while living in Kathmandu, then coming back to his family home he had gone from Besisahar to Manang in (IIRC) a day or two and had an attack of AMS!

This road building around Annapurna is definitely changing peoples opinions of the "Annapurna Circuit", there is a disconcerting trend to make it as short as possible. Bus/4x4 to the highest reachable roadhead, rush over Thorung La and fly out from Jomsom. Well I would have to say that is not a "circuit" and this approach would be missing most of the best of Annapurna. The roads have not destroyed trekking in the area, and I would recommend everyone who treks any sections of the AC to check out NATT (Thank you Andrees )

So, Freddy, to return to your query. I would suggest that you spend more time trekking up the Marshyangdi, rather than Na-Phu. And although a couple of weeks on the trail isn't enough for a complete circuit, it should be enough to allow you a pleasurable trek up the valley and over the pass. Don't worry too much about a bit of rain lower down, just enjoy the lush vegetation and fresh fruit/veg before it gets sparse and barren at altitude. Don't be impatient to ascend higher/faster than your group can manage, it is more important to cross the pass safely than quickly. And when you've crossed Thorung La hopefully you'll have a couple of spare days to explore the area, Jharkot and Kagbeni being far more interesting than the fancy lodges in Muktinath or the airport at Jomsom. However you do it I trust that you will have a great time, enjoy....

Trying to "do" Naar-Pho in a few days is a waste of restricted area permit, and the standard way out from there without backtracking for 3 days or so is over Kang La pass, which is 5300 m high. Naar and Phugaon villages are also both over 4000m, and so is the first village with a lodge, Meta. That would cause acclimatization problems for trekkers trying to do a quick "circuit".

At a fairly normal pace it takes a minimum of 7 days to visit Naar-Phu, Koto to Ngawal. We spent 9 days a few years ago, staying 2 nights in both main villages.

If you take the high trail via Ghyaru and Ngawal, sleeping in Ghyaru, you can actually visit Tilicho Tal without spending any extra days, or only one. This is so because you can skip the recommended 2 nights in Manang and continue straight to Kangshar after a lunch in Manang. Sleeping in Ghyaru gives you the required acclimatization, staying in Tilicho BC lodge gives enough acclimatization to go straight to Thorong Phedi without stopping at Yak Kharka or Ledtar.

like this:

Ghyaru (Tilicho speed hiker route)/ Pisang (normal itinerary)
    Kangshar / Manang
    Tilicho BC / Manang
    Gompa lodge near Kangshar / Letdar
    Thorong Phedi / Thorong Phedi

As you can see the unimaginative trekkers and Tilicho speed hikers arrive at Thorong Phedi the same day. The main difference is that speed hikers have missed the chance to watch DVD movies for two nights in Manang and have to expose themselves in awesome mountain vistas and original Tibetan villages of Ghyaru, Ngawal and Kangshar instead.

Yes! great suggestion already.Nar, Phu and Meta village has got Teahouse. But other place there is no tea house. You need local agent to get permits to Nar-Phu as it is restricted area.
    good luck