Thread: Medical Backup on EBC

Default Medical Backup on EBC

Hi Folks
    I have trekked independently on Annapurna and Everest previously and had no problems
    However next year 2013 I am intending to take several friends with me to EBC to show them the delights of Nepal Trekking etc
    I would just like to ask what sort of emergency medical backup could be found on this trek ? Obviously we would be able to manage cuts and broken limbs etc but what about an immobilising heart attack or stroke
    In these cases what sort of medical treatment could be found if any and what is the quickest method of getting a patient out to KMD
    Your advice would be very welcome to me and also to others who read this board
    Cheers Redders

Default Re: Medical Backup on EBC

The local hospital (health post) is in Kunde, and the HRA post in Pheriche. But they may be difficult to reach in a hurry, especially if the patient is "immobilised" by their ailment. You could take a portable defibrillator (cost 1000+, and probably not suitable for untrained use), and/or carry a satellite phone and have precautionary arrangements for helicopter evacuation.

If a stroke or heart attack is a serious worry then its probably safest to not go there with vulnerable patients. I am not a doctor, obtain expert advice!
    Last edited by Oli; 26th July 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Petrus is correct, hospital is in Kunde, not Khumjung as I previously posted

There is a decent hospital in Kunde (above Namche) and a medical post manned by western doctors in Periche.

http://www.thesiredmundhillaryfounda...ects.26.0.html
    http://www.himalayanrescue.org/hra/aid_post1.php?sno=17

If you want and need helicopter evacuation you either have to have an insurance which covers that, or have somebody place a bond with the helicopter service (around $10000). In the first case you leave all the details of the policy with the trekking agency you use (if you plan to hire guide/porters from one) and they will arrange a chopper to pick you up. In the later case you have to make the arrangements yourself. I suppose the Kunde hospital and the Periche Health Post can also help, as the flights are almost daily these days.

If you have a medical condition that puts you at risk of a heart attack or stroke then it will need to be declared when you obtain travel insurance. You will then find that you are not covered for any costs related to that condition if you get the insurance. This would mean, for example, that you would have to meet the cost of helicopter evacuation, etc., etc., It's a difficult situation and the final decision whether to go is yours.

In 2001 when I was very fit, I had, what I later found out, was a TIA whilst walking between Chhomrong and Birethanti. We had already walked the circuit and been in to ABC. A week later, in our hotel room in KTM, I had another TIA which was more serious because I blacked out for a few seconds. I came to and gradually recovered. Two days later we set off on a19 day hike Helambu-Gosainkund - Langtang. When I got home a month later, a nurse friend told me what TIA's were and that I should see my doctor. We had no insurance on that trip! We are still trekking and doing big trips. I have some difficulty obtaining insurance - previous medical history, age and length of trip. My wife and I accept that one day my number may be up and that will be it! But we're doing what we want to do, we're enjoying it and we have great memories of what we've done, what we've achieved, the sights we've seen and the people we've met and befriended. That's what counts for us.
    * thesilvertops *

Hi Folks
    Thanks for your replies !
    Firstly I would like to reassure you all that I am NOT at risk of stroke or heart attack !at least not to my knowledge !
    Its just that as I am taking friends ,I may be asked the question about what happens IF etc
    I wont be taking anybody who cant confidently ascend Snowdon by the PYG track and they will all be responsible for their own travel insurance
    I hope to be reading Trekinfo posts for some considerable time !!!
    Keep the info coming
    Cheers Redders

Dear Redders,

It is now possible to fly someone to Lukla rather than to Kathmandu by helicopter if the person is not critically ill. From Lukla the normal flights would be available to Kathmandu. The cost to Lukla is also much less than Kathmandu. I have done this for one of my group this April and it worked quite well

cheers
    Sujoy