Thread: Langtang trek only with Nepali staff Home Ministry

Default Langtang trek only with Nepali staff Home Ministry

Ministry of home diction solo trekker or others in group, All trek in langtang must with Nepali staff due to security reason .
    Find letter in attach file
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Langtang trek only with Nepali staff Home Ministry

Can you try again Rishi, your post makes little sense.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I think that what Rishi is trying to say is that the Ministry of Tourism have ordered that due to "security concerns" (presumably the risk of being robbed/murdered) all trekkers (solo & independent groups) in the Langtang region must be accompanied by Nepali staff.

This is a sorry indictment of the deteriorating lawlessness of post-war Nepal.

Edit: at least thats what I think Rishi means to say, alarmist as it may sound I'm not altogether surprised if this is the truth. But I can't find it reported elsewhere (yet) and I would expect that this would be publicised by TAAN and news outlets. Can any confirm if this? Rishi?
    Last edited by Oli; 18th July 2012 at 04:08 AM.

News source TAAN,Home ministry and Tourism Ministry.

TAAN reports...

The government has banned foreigners from trekking solo in Langtang National Park after two trekkers went missing in the Langtang Region in the past three years.

The Ministry of Home Affairs took the decision following request by District Security Committee, Rasuwa. The committee had recently decided that free independent trekkers, who want to trek solo in the Langtang National Park, must be accompanied by at least a guide or a porter.

The committee took a policy decision to this effect on first of Ashadh 2069 (mid-June 2012) and forwarded it to the home ministry for approval. The ministry approved the decision on 19 Ashadh (first week of July).

My interpretation is that this rule applies only to solo FIT trekkers i.e. it only applies to trekkers on their own. Hopefully the rule will not catch all independent trekkers.

According to news it seems the rule catches all individuals and solo trekkers.
    Good luck

Exclamation Re: Langtang trek only with Nepali staff Home Ministry

Hogwash and rumour!

We just completed Langtang-Gosainkund-Helambu.

At the check pos t in Dunche there was sign RECOMMENDING (their wording) trekkers not trek alone. There was NO check about this.

So this stuff about it being a "rule" is hogwash.

Do not follow rumours! Halla ko desh ...
    It seems it feeds the needs of many trekking offices and independent guides.

Trekking on ones own is not recommended in Europe or USA, so how come people do trekking on their own in the Himalayas?
    Getting lost or risking bad encounter are common things if you trek alone. Do not be foolish, hire Nepalis and discover more about their culture !!

TAAN would be very happy to forbid trekking without a Nepali to foreign individuals!!
    In the same manner as it did work in order to implement the TIMS card ...
    20$ on their own, 10$ through agencies ...
    Or how to collect $ from tourists ...

TAAN should do proper follow up on the numerous reports of FITs on their own in Manaslu area, even tough it is illegal, and suppresses jobs!
    They register at check points and police posts and will get caught next season or next year!
    Not respecting the national laws of a foreign country is really not something to recommend to individual trekkers.

TAAN should rather enquire about the inhuman treatment that receive Nepali staffs (especially porters) in Dharmashala (4460m)!
    Nepali staffs, without whom trekking would not be possible, are to sleep on the floor on tarpaulin doubled with black mat (almost in-existent) in tents without zipper, are to eat dal bhat that looks like water and is super

A porter even died in Dharmashala in November 2012. People will say that he was already sick while arriving in Dharamshala, but something that is sure is that his medical situation did not improve after such an awful night.

The lodge, that was belonging to an individual of Lapu (a village near Laprak of Gorkha), has been sold to Thamserku Trekking I have been told ...
    The largest agency of Nepal ... no comment !!

Support local economy, meet with Nepalis and do not risk your trip in order to save little ...

Mukh ma Ram Ram, bagali ma ....

I too do not think it wise to trek alone. But this is a personal choice.

However, in Canada (and in my experience, USA and Europe) we do not have rules nor "rumours" that it is against regulations to hike/trek alone, and certainly we are not "expected" to hire guides for straight-forward hikes.

But in Nepal there is this myth that guides are somehow essential (and TAAN would like to make it a rule). Clearly, for teahouse trek routes they ARE NOT required.

Nothing wrong, and lots good, with having a good guide -- but required they usually are not ( on teahouse treks).