Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Makalu Base Camp

Default Re: Makalu Base Camp

@Boulia

Thanks for your response.

20 plus treks in Nepal itself ? WOW!!! You have all my respect and I would be very happy if I can do half of as many treks as you have done in Nepal one day. Sadly, its only my 3rd in Nepal.
    If you don't mind, may I ask since when are you trekking in Nepal and what are the treks you have done in Nepal and how do you rate each one and your top three or five treks ?

I am hoping that things would be slightly better compared to 2012 and due to development, there might be additional tea shops open in the region ? (Or probably not since there are hardly any trekkers in this area ? ) or I should rather pray that there won't be any sherpa wedding in the region during the time of my visit.....else I need to carry my tent which is additional 3.5kgs.
    Last year, I was in ABC in mid December and I thought that it was not that cold and hoping that it will not be cold in mid November in Makalu region or does this region gets much colder and earlier compared to ABC ?

Thanks for your response.

@Roger
    Sir - thanks a lot for your advice. You have been very kind enough to reply to all my queries.
    By the way, my change of dates is from 31st Oct to mid November and the reason for this is one of my friend is coming for this trek. I thought its better to do this trek with a trek buddy rather than doing alone. I should also probably look for more trek partners.

Thanks once again.
    Manzey.

I have only been going to Nepal sine 2003. 20 odd treks, not visits, some years I visited twice for extended times but now usually once a year for 5-6 weeks from mid November and one longish trek. I am a repeat Everest area trekker, now 8 times, But have covered many areas, Manaslu/Tsum is the favourite. Least was an aborted trek out of Simikot at the height of the Maoists. perhaps I should go back there now. Have never done Mustang or Dolpo, I travel with Nepalese staff only so logistics and restricted area permits are an issue.

If carrying my own tent at 3.5kgs I would start to hope I could connect with teahouses ! Its hard to say, I don't carry all my own gear, so I would take it.

I don't expect many more teahouses would have been built. Maybe others have been there since. When I did Manaslu in 2010 you could tell form talking with the locals more accommodation was on going to happen, indeed it was then and now has happened. I didn't get that feeling at Makalu.

re cold, I found Makalu cold and also we had a big drop of snow, for a western Queenslander, Australia, I mean big!

Hi Manzey, my mistake, I got your dates reversed...to me a mid Nov start is a little late, in which case I would check starting in Sedewa first then Tashigaon and ask if people are or will be up in the lodges during your time frame. I think you may be pushing the limit but who knows what they will do and decide when to close up (based on coldness and lack of trekkers) and come down. There is a chance too that people will go up and open places for you if you request it.

With your late dep I would probably now change my advice and bring my tent. If it is arranged that lodge owners will be there or open lodges for you you can choose to leave the tent behind at any location/lodge. I see no reason to haul a tent up there if the lodges are open unless you are set on exploring around at bc for some days and I think it may be uncomfortably cold for that and then there is the food issue too.

And yes, I can concur that I found MBC cold, seemed to feel it more than on the Everest trek or AC.

I think it is good not go alone. I hope the later dep does not hamper your trek and that you can arrange lodging the whole way....you may be able to carry a tent but if no lodging you will need to carry food too, that may be a problem unless you will have a staff, I can't remember.

Good luck, Roger
    Last edited by roger_ray; 7th August 2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: grammer

Thanks Boulia & Roger!

Now that I have booked the tickets, I have to stick to the dates. As you said, will carry the tent and food. Apart from my friend, will look out if anybody who would be interested to join this trek.

Regards,
    Manzey

Are you taking any staff? guides/porters?
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    Are you taking any staff? guides/porters?
    Roger
    No guide or porters.

Thanks,

ok, you get to carry all the extra gear yourself....I would hope for open lodges.

Roger

Dear all,
    I am also planning to return to Makalu in November , but I hope also to explore the Arun valley north of Num , up to Kimathangka.

Does any one have any information about the trail along the Barun Nadi from Yangla Kharka to the meeting with Arun Nadi at Barun Dovan? I can see it on the map , but I can find no information. If it is still there and possible , it would be a good alternative to returning through Tashigaon.
    I assume there are no homestay possible , but are there any caves , or animal huts? Or maybe it would be possible in one very long days trek?

Thank you for your help,

Quote Originally Posted by Bistari_Barelegs View Post
    Dear all,
    I am also planning to return to Makalu in November , but I hope also to explore the Arun valley north of Num , up to Kimathangka.

Does any one have any information about the trail along the Barun Nadi from Yangla Kharka to the meeting with Arun Nadi at Barun Dovan? I can see it on the map , but I can find no information. If it is still there and possible , it would be a good alternative to returning through Tashigaon.
    I assume there are no homestay possible , but are there any caves , or animal huts? Or maybe it would be possible in one very long days trek?

Thank you for your help,
    Hi,

Would appreciate if you could let us know if you find any information on this.

In case if you are coming down the same route as you have gone up(regular route), there is a possibility that we could meet midway while we are on our way up

I pray and hope that the weather holds good till December and the tea houses are open till then.

Cheers!

G'day guys,

I wrote the trekkingmakalu blog that is linked in post #10.

I thought it may be good to point out a few things.

The year I went to base camp I met a group of 5 or 6 experienced kiwi trekkers in Khongma.
    They were hiking independently and had tried follow valleys rather than take traditional route, assuming they could find food locally.
    Their description was 3 days of horrible bushbashing and not being able to find anybody willing to sell them food (all sustenance living in the area). After 3 days they found somebody willing to bring them back to the main trail and they bought 2 weeks worth of chow chow in Seduwa.
    That said, just 2 weeks ago I walked from Sagrate (near Num) to Barabise to Khandbari. There are plenty of 'local' trails (at least at the lower elevations) but they are difficult to find/follow without local guides. I was the only foreigner with 5 Nepali and we had to ask directions frequently. Trails often have longs sections of following paddy walls and are not obvious.
    If you want to take anything other than the standard route to Makalu I would strongly recommend a local guide.

Second point I would make is about expectations of teahouses in December.
    I would think this is highly unlikely.
    The year I was at base camp they were pulling Yaks off the mountain in late October as snow was starting to fall.
    Right now is the prime time for Makalu region. Monsoon ended about 2 weeks back (maybe a little early) and winter hasn't bit yet.
    If you do 'expect' teahouses I would be sure to ask locally before heading past Tashigaon.
    The guy who runs Yangle Kharke is from Seduwa, all others (Khongma, Dobato, Yak Kharke, Base Camp) are I believe from Tashigaon.

If you do trek alone after October I would also recommend you carry a PLB. Once the yak herders come off the hill and teahouses close there will not be any locals in the area. There is also no phone coverage once you get about an hour past Tashigaon. You should plan to be 100% self reliant and capable of dealing with any emergency that could arise.

Cheers,
    Michael