Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Makalu Base Camp

Default Re: Makalu Base Camp

Hi Manzey,

Will start the MBC trek somewhere late October early November. Not sure yet as I will be trekking in from Jiri and I have not 100% decided what to do along the way. Either its gonna be Numbur Cheese Circuit, then direction Lukla, however bypassing the entire Everst area going directly for Arun Valley and then MBC. Or I will not do Numbur Cheese Circuit therefore do some tours in the Everest area along the way. Less trekkers as on Numbur Cheese circuit vs. being up and close with the really big mountains in the Everest Area. Who lives will see what I decide.

Thanks for sending me the links to the blogs. Really enjoyed reading them, have although only read one yet, proves that it is possible to do MBC by teahouse. Nevertheless I will certainly bring a tent, I kind of like the idea of having a tent to sleep in but making use of local offer for food and drinks.

Good luck with you planning.
    Cheers. Fredrik

Hi,

I am still contemplating between Langtang trek including Ganja la pass and yala peak or Makalu base camp with my limited holidays.

Anyway's I have heard that now the jeep goes upto Num (MBC trek route) which cuts down the trek by another one day either way.

Cheers!

This is one of the top treks on my list. I am curious how the condition of the trail is? do any river crossings exist?

Do you mean that you have to walk thru, literally fording the river? In that case no....the trail is relatively easy to follow but it is a strenuous trek with very few if any facilities except the basic but suitable nightly stops....this is not a trek with the amenities the unfortunately smother the main treks. You won't see but a few at most people on the route as you trek along.

I did the trek as a tea house trek in late Oct- mid Nov 2010...perhaps there are few enroute places to stop now but more recent trekkers have said not.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    Do you mean that you have to walk thru, literally fording the river? In that case no....the trail is relatively easy to follow but it is a strenuous trek with very few if any facilities except the basic but suitable nightly stops....this is not a trek with the amenities the unfortunately smother the main treks. You won't see but a few at most people on the route as you trek along.

I did the trek as a tea house trek in late Oct- mid Nov 2010...perhaps there are few enroute places to stop now but more recent trekkers have said not.

Roger
    Hi Roger,

Hope you are doing great. If you remember, last year we had a chat on trekkingpartners site.
    How was your trek to Makalu base camp last year which you were planning to go again with some of your friends ?
    I am planning to go this year and still in very early stages of planning. I am yet to decide on dates and then apply for leave. By the way, I read your 2010 Makalu base camp trip report and the information you have provided is excellent as there are not many blogs on this trek.
    A French gentleman who has done this trek this year has confirmed that the jeep goes till Num from Khandabari and they charge Rs 600/- and it takes about 3-4 hrs to reach Num.
    By the way, have you been to Shiva Dhara which is supposed to be a deviation from Yangle Kharka and its a day trek from there. I would like to visit this place if possible.
    I have made a rough itinerary of this trek and maybe you could advise where I could cut a day ?

Cheers and Happy outdoors!
    Manzey
    Last edited by Manzey; 22nd July 2014 at 12:27 PM.

Hi Manzy, yes, I remember.
    No, I did not get back to MBC last yr or since 2010 though would like to do it again at some point. Including the walk in and/or out to the Solu or Khumbu area....just need an excuse or someone to hire me, Ha!
    Yea, I too confirmed with Tejanath at Khandbari that the jeep goes to/from Num now. On the MAST site now is someone else's more recent report of their tea house trek to MBC. There does not seem to have been much change or development other than a tea house or two. I remember above Yangle K? a ways on the left across the river were a house or two...you can apparently stay there now at some times.
    I am not aware of Shiva Dhara. Sounds like a puja location?
    I you want to put your itinerary on this thread I can look or send it to me but possibilities for cutting days on this trek are slim as the nightly locations are pretty distant and acclimatization rules make it tough.

Regarding Fredrick's initial posting he mentioned several blogs....if you have a link other than my/MAST link concerning trekking to MBC can you send me that link/info.

Fredrick...."I kind of like the idea of having a tent to sleep in but making use of local offer for food and drinks."....this is generally not looked on favorable by tea house/trek lodge owners and you will likely be charged a lot more if you do this....carry your tent if you want but why? but staying in your tent and eating in the lodge may end up being a hassle, unnecessary, costly and counter productive....perhaps at Dobatto if they are jammed but that would be about it....IMO.

Manzy, good luck with you planning.
    Roger

Roger,
    Many thanks for your advice which I shall consider.
    I was of the impression that this would be kind of ok as I had understood that the main income for people providing service to trekkers enroute was on meals and not on lodging.
    Cheers, Fredrik

Fredrik, yes the majority of the income is from the food. However they would want you room fee too and generally hanging around where you would be tempted to be buying another spur of the tea or getting a snack....you will likely be charged somewhat for tenting whether it is more than if you were taking a bunk, who knows...probably. But as you are getting your food/drinks in the lodge it shouldn't be much or a problem.

You are right of course in that if you were tenting and cooking that would have been an expensive hassle for you...but by only tenting it probably is not that big of a deal but be prepared to be charged some extra amount. Different lodges may have different ideas on this. If you really want to carry and use a tent then bring it and use it and see how it works. Though it does go against the grain of the lodge system commonly used in Nepal and entails to me anyway extra weight, some hassles, and is unnecessary but if you want to then go ahead and bring one.

Roger

Thanks Roger for your advice which I shall consider.
    Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    Hi Manzy, yes, I remember.
    No, I did not get back to MBC last yr or since 2010 though would like to do it again at some point. Including the walk in and/or out to the Solu or Khumbu area....just need an excuse or someone to hire me, Ha!
    Yea, I too confirmed with Tejanath at Khandbari that the jeep goes to/from Num now. On the MAST site now is someone else's more recent report of their tea house trek to MBC. There does not seem to have been much change or development other than a tea house or two. I remember above Yangle K? a ways on the left across the river were a house or two...you can apparently stay there now at some times.
    I am not aware of Shiva Dhara. Sounds like a puja location?
    I you want to put your itinerary on this thread I can look or send it to me but possibilities for cutting days on this trek are slim as the nightly locations are pretty distant and acclimatization rules make it tough.

Regarding Fredrick's initial posting he mentioned several blogs....if you have a link other than my/MAST link concerning trekking to MBC can you send me that link/info.

Fredrick...."I kind of like the idea of having a tent to sleep in but making use of local offer for food and drinks."....this is generally not looked on favorable by tea house/trek lodge owners and you will likely be charged a lot more if you do this....carry your tent if you want but why? but staying in your tent and eating in the lodge may end up being a hassle, unnecessary, costly and counter productive....perhaps at Dobatto if they are jammed but that would be about it....IMO.

Manzy, good luck with you planning.
    Roger
    Hi Roger,
    Sorry for late response.

Here's the latest and excellent blog of a French person who did this trek in May 2014.

http://jeanfrancoisdeleval.com/2014/06/23/makalu-trek/

It seems he also tried doing this trek earlier in 2013, but could not complete it due to bad weather and you can find those info too in his blog.

The other two links are provided by me in earlier posts of this thread are also quite informative. I have pasted few more links down below which might be of interest to others who are interested in doing this trek.

You are right about Shiva Dhara. I was not aware of this place earlier and had read this in one of the websites and was thinking that If I am going to MBC, then I should go here as well as it just takes one additional day. Let's see how it goes.

http://socialtreknepal.com/V2/trek-shivadanda.html

I was thinking of carrying my REI tent (as I had read in one of the blogs that there was bed bugs in one of the tea house) but after reading your posts I am not keen on carrying it.

Here's a rough itinerary of my MBC trek which is made after reading several blogs / sites. I believe I can cut one day while coming back, but not sure which day.

Day 1 --> 31st Oct --> Fly from Bangalore to Bagdogra and crossing of border to khakarbitta and then to Dharan by bus.
    Day 2 --> 1st Nov --> Dharan to Khandabari by bus.
    Day 3 --> 2nd Nov --> Khandabari to Num in jeep and then trek to Seduwa
    Day 4 --> 3rd Nov --> Seduwa to Tashi Gaon
    Day 5 --> 4th Nov --> TashiGaon to Kongma La
    Day 6 --> 5th Nov --> Kongma La to Dobate
    Day 7 --> 6th Nov --> Dobate to Yangle Kharka
    Day 8 --> 7th Nov --> Yangle Kharka Nhe Kharka/Shiva Dhara/Nhe Kharka/Yangle Kharka (Only if I find a local person to take me to this place)
    Day 9 --> 8th Nov --> Yangle Kharka to Langmale Kharkla / Sherson
    Day 10 --> 9th Nov --> Langmale Kharka / Sherson to MBc
    Day 11 --> 10th Nov --> MBC to Hillary base camp (HBC) and back to MBC or just laze around MBC.
    Day 12 --> 11th Nov --> MBC to Yangle Kharka
    Day 13 --> 12th Nov --> Yangle Kharka to Dobate
    Day 14 --> 13th Nov --> Dobate to Khongma La
    Day 15 --> 14th Nov --> Khongma La to Tashigoan or Seduwa
    Day 16 --> 15th Nov --> Tashigoan to Seduwa
    Day 17 --> 16th Nov --> Seduwa to Num and then jeep to Khandabari
    Day 18 --> 17th Nov khandabari to Bagdogra via khakarbitta
    Day 19 --> 18th nov --> Fly back to Bangalore from bagdogra.

Do you think I can cut a day or two while going and coming down ? Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers and happy outdoors!
    Manzey

http://blogavitch.com/?p=103

http://venablesnews.active24blog.com/27716/ ==> Sherpani col trek blog

http://www.legalnomads.com/2011/08/t...un-valley.html

http://www.mountainsoftravelphotos.com/Makalu/Main.html

https://trekkingnepalhimalaya.wordpr...rek-route-map/

http://thegreathimalayatrail.org/res.../makalu-barun/
    http://thegreathimalayatrail.org/wp-...lu-map_618.jpg