Thread: EBC Overnight

Default EBC Overnight

I am planning an EBC trek and am thinking about going with an agency that offers an overnight at EBC during the climbing season. Does anyone know which agencies offer this option in April? Any information appreciated and also any feedback if you have done this yourself. Would you say it is worthwhile or better just to do the trek and not stay overnight. Thanks!

Default Re: EBC Overnight

It certainly is an experience few trekkers get, listening the groans of the slowly flowing glacier while lying awake thanks to slight AMS. I spent 3 nights up there long time ago, with my own tent (had no problems with AMS or sleeping). At least the night is quite costly, as camping gear needs to be hauled up there for just one night. Impossible to say if it is worth it for each individual.

Have you considered just hiring a porter-guide from a reliable agency and going independently? Considerably cheaper, and you can stay at the EBC if you just take a tent and a sleeping pad (and ice axe to hack a platform) with you. If I am not mistaken there even are some sort of teashops at the BC during the climbing season now, as the camp is huge and there is a steady stream of trekkers ever day there. Then you would not need to worry about cooking.

Default Re: EBC Overnight

I know going through a company would be much more money but I don't mind as I really feel overwhelmed figuring out all the logistics myself. To me it would be worth it to have the planning all taken care of. I'm glad you were able to experience camping at base camp-I hope I can make it happen for me, too.