Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Makalu Base Camp

Default Re: Makalu Base Camp

Manzy, thanks for the extensive info....it will take some time to get thru all that....I may be able to provide a little info on your routing...back to you later, Roger.

Manzy, if I do not get back to you in a day or see send a reminder...I am very busy now, thanks, Roger

Manzy, not much to add but here it is....days refer to your itinerary...

Day 3, will be a long day….the hike down to the river from Num is long and hot and same for going up….We stayed at a lodge just at the corner by the old school, not near the camping area. Sherpa place I think….the owner was most solicitous. If you can not make it all the way up to Seduwa there is a small store/’logde’ is too nice a word, to stay at too, about half way up. Breaks that climb up but as you will be jeeping all the way to Num you can probably make it to Seduwa w/o too much trouble.

Day 8, after Yangle K we choose to stay at Yak K and took an additional day as acclimatization day there as there was not an apprecialbly diff amongst Kongma, Dobaato, and Yangle K….departing Yak Kharka after an acclim day there we saw the buildings of Langmole but had no info on people there or not….from Yak Kharka on up it is a pretty shallow climb…you can pick your own overnight anywhere in that area. BTW we started taking half pill of Diamox at Yak Kharka as a preventative, just in case….we decided it was too much of an effort and expense to get that far on this trek to risk one of us getting symptoms….again a personal choice.

Day 9 acclim day at Yak K.

Day 10 Yak K to MBC was our routing…but we did not plan and/or know about side trips. MBC had about 3 lodges. Don’t think it matters which one…we had good food…there was no warming fire…due lack of wood they only made small cooking fire….it does get cold up there if you are not day hiking or doing something. Shersong was nothing, just abandoned wood structure not really suitable for anything.

We did your planned routing for Day 12/13/14/and 15 ending at Sedewa, lunch at Tashigaon. A couple of locals descended from Dobaato thru Kongma to Tashigoan in one day but that is a long day with a long final descent to Tashigoan.
    The next day we left Seduwa but went down the W side of the Arun all the way (don't do this) to connecting to the Salpa La trek….I had some Rai friends about 2/3 the way down the W side in a village up the hill so we went that route instead of returning to Num and Khandbari. I have heard you can leave early morning from Seduwa so as to get jeep returning from Num to Khandbari….it may pay to try and call ahead from Seduwa to reserve some slots as otherwise seats may be taken…..you might ask the driver or whomever on the way up how to make contact for returning....

So Manzy, I really do not have much to add to your plans and on this trek. It is not easy to cut out days except on long one or two descents if you choose.
    At Yak Kharka we met the owners, a very old couple both name Pasang…their daughter was the first Nepali female to climb Everest, at least that is what we heard. They had their own small house just up from the lodge. We hung out there with some locals and Pasang and Pasang and drank and had our dal bhaat with them, just sitting around a fire….
    Hope it all works for you, good luck, Roger
    Last edited by roger_ray; 30th July 2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    Manzy, not much to add but here it is....days refer to your itinerary...

Day 3, will be a long day….the hike down to the river from Num is long and hot and same for going up….We stayed at a lodge just at the corner by the old school, not near the camping area. Sherpa place I think….the owner was most solicitous. If you can not make it all the way up to Seduwa there is a small store/’logde’ is too nice a word, to stay at too, about half way up. Breaks that climb up but as you will be jeeping all the way to Num you can probably make it to Seduwa w/o too much trouble.

Day 8, after Yangle K we choose to stay at Yak K and took an additional day as acclimatization day there as there was not an apprecialbly diff amongst Kongma, Dobaato, and Yangle K….departing Yak Kharka after an acclim day there we saw the buildings of Langmole but had no info on people there or not….from Yak Kharka on up it is a pretty shallow climb…you can pick your own overnight anywhere in that area. BTW we started taking half pill of Diamox at Yak Kharka as a preventative, just in case….we decided it was too much of an effort and expense to get that far on this trek to risk one of us getting symptoms….again a personal choice.

Day 9 acclim day at Yak K.

Day 10 Yak K to MBC was our routing…but we did not plan and/or know about side trips. MBC had about 3 lodges. Don’t think it matters which one…we had good food…there was no warming fire…due lack of wood they only made small cooking fire….it does get cold up there if you are not day hiking or doing something. Shersong was nothing, just abandoned wood structure not really suitable for anything.

We did your planned routing for Day 12/13/14/and 15 ending at Sedewa, lunch at Tashigaon. A couple of locals descended from Dobaato thru Kongma to Tashigoan in one day but that is a long day with a long final descent to Tashigoan.
    The next day we left Seduwa but went down the W side of the Arun all the way (don't do this) to connecting to the Salpa La trek….I had some Rai friends about 2/3 the way down the W side in a village up the hill so we went that route instead of returning to Num and Khandbari. I have heard you can leave early morning from Seduwa so as to get jeep returning from Num to Khandbari….it may pay to try and call ahead from Seduwa to reserve some slots as otherwise seats may be taken…..you might ask the driver or whomever on the way up how to make contact for returning....

So Manzy, I really do not have much to add to your plans and on this trek. It is not easy to cut out days except on long one or two descents if you choose.
    At Yak Kharka we met the owners, a very old couple both name Pasang…their daughter was the first Nepali female to climb Everest, at least that is what we heard. They had their own small house just up from the lodge. We hung out there with some locals and Pasang and Pasang and drank and had our dal bhaat with them, just sitting around a fire….
    Hope it all works for you, good luck, Roger
    Hi Roger,

Thanks a ton Roger for your advice which I will follow. Really appreciate for taking time to answer my questions.
    Booking the jeep in advance (previous day) is really a good idea.
    I had also read about Pasang couple and their daughter who had climbed Everest in some blog which I don't remember now.

Will keep you updated.

Regards,
    Manzey

Ok, Manzy, have fun and post a report when able. Bye, Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    Ok, Manzy, have fun and post a report when able. Bye, Roger

One more question.

What are the chances of finding a Butane gas canister in Dharan / Tumlingtar / Khandabari ?
    I can not carry it from my place as it is not allowed in flight.

Thanks in advance.

Manzey.

Hi,

I couldn't get any 4 years ago the last time I was in Nepal. You def won't find any in Tumlingtar, only KTM or Pokhara would have them if anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kegarne View Post
    Hi,

I couldn't get any 4 years ago the last time I was in Nepal. You def won't find any in Tumlingtar, only KTM or Pokhara would have them if anywhere.
    Thanks for your response Kegarne.
    In previous years, have bought it in Kathmandu / Pokhra. But this time will not be going to either of places....I was hoping to find it in Dharan as I heard that its quite a big town.

I am planning to change my starting date to Nov 14th from 31st Oct. Is it too late in the season and will the tea house be closed ? Do I need to carry tent if its mid November ? I have seen couple of blogs where people have done the trek during this time. Not sure if they were carrying tents. Your response is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Manzey

Hi Manzey

I have been following your discussions with Roger a lot. I did this trek in 2012 with his help also and started about your new dates, actually Nov 17th I was 'trying' to climb to Seduwa from Num after a rough jeep ride from the Num side of Khandabari where the previous jeep left us and the new jeep driver wouldn't go on till 'full' (overloaded) So an unexpected night stop.

your question. I had problems with finding lodges open high up but that was impacted by a big Sherpa wedding at that time too. I went on as I did have a guide and porter and a small tent. We borrowed some cooking gear and got food at Tashigoan. It appeared the locals had also decided it was cold enough, so by mid Nov you maybe at the end of their season.

its an interesting trek, enjoy it.

Hi Guys, glad to be a part of the exchange of info. Changing your start date to late Oct is a good idea. I don't think you will find any lodging problems at all at that time...in 2010 we started around Oct 24/25.
    Remind me Manzey, are you trekking alone or with a buddy or with any staff....as Boulia can also say there is not much btwn daily lodging stops...it is big 'lonely' country with likely few people on the trail...'on this trek' I would advise either a trek buddy or a guide, IMO.

Roger