Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Makalu Base Camp

Default Makalu Base Camp

I am hoping that someone can help me out with some information. Later on this year I am planning to trek from Tumlingtar to Makalu base camp. I have no mountaineering experience so not considering crossing over to Khumbu(maybe sometime in the future), instead simply returning the same way to Tumlingtar. A guide whose services I have been using a couple of times reckons it's a good trek. I can't recall having met any trekker who has been there. Is there anyone out there who can help me out a bit? What is it like scenery wise? Is it "harder" than for example Manaslu circuit or any of the "usual" treks? As an alternative I am considering the Kanchenjunga region. Has anyone been to both these areas? If so, which one is more scenic? I realize it's a very subjective issue, just trying to get an idea.
    Thank you

Default Re: Makalu Base Camp

Hi

I am heading off to do something similar later this year too. I will go from Tumlingtar to the base camp than on the way back head over to the Tumlingtar-Lulka trail before dropping off that at about Gudel and going to a local village before onto either Phaplu(fly) or Jiri (bus). I received a great deal of help with my plans from a guy who regularly posts on Lonely Planet. There are a few posts on there. I intend to do the trek using the teahouses and as i am going fairly late in the season praying that they will not be closed higher up. If you search you will find some blogs on ther trek with photos. PM me and i will pass you any other info i have gathered.

Kangchenjunga - i did it in 2008, doing a bit of camping and using local teahouses. Its a nice trek, locals were, it seemed to me, much more used to large expedition style trekking and I unfortunately had little interaction with them. Trails were tougher than the more popular treks as you would expect and infrastructure much less.

hope that helps

Thank you for your help Boulia. I have sent you a message.

I've been, recently, and may be the person referred to ref Lonely Planet.....you can PM me if you want....but first....it is a longer demanding trek if you carry your gear. Very limited infrastructure, not much if anything between daily stops. Wx is very problematical...you could go the whole way and miss some views...also I know a social help agency in Khandbari that runs a trek agency as a non profict that plow $$ back into local charitys AND uses local guides and porters from the area so the people of the area get some monetary benefit vice all the money going back to KTM...

I read in the book Nepal Trekking and the Great Himalay Train by Robin Boustead that it is now possible to trek from Tumlingtar to Makulu BC as a teahouse trek. Until I read this I was planning to do this as a camping trek. Does anyone know if it is really possible to do Tumlingtar to Makalu BC as a teahouse trek?
    Last edited by Fredrik; 29th May 2014 at 10:06 PM.

I was there in late 2012 (too late I suffered from the lack of open teahouses). Yes there are teahouses BUT the operators 'go lower' from it seems mid to late November leaving virtually no one above Tashigaon. Do not expect teahouses along the trail for lunch stops, take something with you to eat and be aware some of the stops break the altitude gain per day rules by a big margin. The trail is rough in places.

I took a series of jeeps to Num then suffered the shock first day going way down then (well almost, I couldn't make it) way up to Seduwa. Its doable by teahouse but don't go in alone thinking its a 'normal' teahouse style trek. Weather comes in quickly too making trails difficult to find.

Thanks Boulia,
    Do you know if / where I can find out where these "teahouses" are located?

I am planing to trek in from Jiri via Arun Valley with some tours in the Everst region along the way so hopefully well acclimatised. I will certainly bring a stove as well as some food supplies. The question for me is really should I bring a "real" tent (heavy) - that is what I would do if I had to relay on my tent and sleep in it every night for weeks - or can I do with a light tent enabling me to stay outside if I like to do so or as a last resort if nothing else available... Not expecting anyone else but me to answer that question however further knowledge about the teahouses in the Makulu region would help me answering it myself.
    Last edited by Fredrik; 30th May 2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

hi

assuming you get to Num by jeep in one day it would be late (I overnighted as the 2nd jeep driver wouldn't go till he was jeep was full !) so you may overnight there as its a long down and up to Seduwa. Anyway with a small light tent you can as I did just stay beside a house on the way up and get some form of food. I did travel with a guide and porter but only took a little food and one small tent. This was for the return trip back down west side of Arun from Seduwa via Walung Phedi, Bumling Bazar and onto the Tumlingter-Lulka trail at Gothe Bazar. This we did but the trail is extremely difficult to find, multiple trails in fact and any sort of accommodation around Walung Phedi was difficult. After that it was ok and once put back on the correct trail it was ok to Bumbling Bazar and then a shortcut through to meet the trail right at Gothe Bazar.

so tea houses after Num

Num, Seduwa, Tashigaon, Kongma, Mumbak, Yangi Khaki, Shersong, MBC and I think a coupe of others. Many were shut when I went in, too late in the season and my timing clashed with a big Sherpa wedding, everyone it seemed was interrelated to the couple so closed and went down. We took extra food from Tashigaon and some cooking gear. We were able to sleep in outbuildings where the teashops were closed.)

the MBC is a tough trek and we came back fast due to bad weather, waist deep snow in places and trail guessing. I know you are going alone and at a busier time of the year ok, but just watch the weather and ask about teahouses as you go (you will get many different and confusing answers to this simple question.

Boulia,

Thanks for your info. Have now decided to bring a tent and will most likely use it a lot.

Also good to read your words about the stretch between Seduwa and the Lukla-Tumlingtar trail. I will be coming in from Lukla and was initially considerring to go all the way down to Tumlingtar and then start over from there. However I am now considering to bypass that part, go directly from the Lukla-Tumlingtar trail on the west side of the Arun river and then come on to the Makalu BC trek in Seduwa.

Cheers. Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    I read in the book Nepal Trekking and the Great Himalay Train by Robin Boustead that it is now possible to trek from Tumlingtar to Makulu BC as a teahouse trek. Until I read this I was planning to do this as a camping trek. Does anyone know if it is really possible to do Tumlingtar to Makalu BC as a teahouse trek?
    @Fredrik:

Hi,

When are you planning for this trek ?

I am also planning (still in early stages and haven't yet decided entirely) for this trek as a tea house trek and was thinking of finding partner for this trek as I do not want to do it solo. I have not finalized about my dates, but it would be sometime in Oct/Nov 2014. I was also thinking of carrying my tent, stove and some food for this trek in case if not all tea houses are open.

Also, in case if you have not already read these two blogs, then would suggest you go through these blogs as this has some good information about this route.

http://sathyastravels.blogspot.in/20...-oct-2012.html
    http://trekkingmakalu.blogspot.in/20...khandbari.html

I have been to Nepal in 2012 and 2013 for AC and ABC. Also, have done few treks in Indian himalayas.

Cheers and Happy trekking!
    Manzey