Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Makalu Base Camp

Default Re: Makalu Base Camp

Quote Originally Posted by mfinglet View Post
    G'day guys,

I wrote the trekkingmakalu blog that is linked in post #10.

I thought it may be good to point out a few things.

The year I went to base camp I met a group of 5 or 6 experienced kiwi trekkers in Khongma.
    They were hiking independently and had tried follow valleys rather than take traditional route, assuming they could find food locally.
    Their description was 3 days of horrible bushbashing and not being able to find anybody willing to sell them food (all sustenance living in the area). After 3 days they found somebody willing to bring them back to the main trail and they bought 2 weeks worth of chow chow in Seduwa.
    That said, just 2 weeks ago I walked from Sagrate (near Num) to Barabise to Khandbari. There are plenty of 'local' trails (at least at the lower elevations) but they are difficult to find/follow without local guides. I was the only foreigner with 5 Nepali and we had to ask directions frequently. Trails often have longs sections of following paddy walls and are not obvious.
    If you want to take anything other than the standard route to Makalu I would strongly recommend a local guide.

Second point I would make is about expectations of teahouses in December.
    I would think this is highly unlikely.
    The year I was at base camp they were pulling Yaks off the mountain in late October as snow was starting to fall.
    Right now is the prime time for Makalu region. Monsoon ended about 2 weeks back (maybe a little early) and winter hasn't bit yet.
    If you do 'expect' teahouses I would be sure to ask locally before heading past Tashigaon.
    The guy who runs Yangle Kharke is from Seduwa, all others (Khongma, Dobato, Yak Kharke, Base Camp) are I believe from Tashigaon.

If you do trek alone after October I would also recommend you carry a PLB. Once the yak herders come off the hill and teahouses close there will not be any locals in the area. There is also no phone coverage once you get about an hour past Tashigaon. You should plan to be 100% self reliant and capable of dealing with any emergency that could arise.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Thanks Michael for stopping by and writing those points which will be very helpful in what one can expect (or rather not to expect anything after October). It was real pleasure reading your blog and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Good to know that you went back to the area again. I hope you write your experience of this trip as well and share pics.

I am starting very late in the season for this trek with a friend, (will be starting the trek around 15th - 16th Nov). Will be carrying tent, food and stove and then will take a call at Tashigoan whether to proceed further or should we return and trek at lower lever. Plan is to follow the regular route and not to be adventurous and ready to come back in case if it is not possible and probably trek in the lower regions (Arun valley via Salpa pass) with help of a local guide might be an alternative.

Also, by chance do you have any phone numbers of any people / tea house in Tashigoan or Seduwa ? Maybe I can call these people one or two days before I start and If they say its not possible to trek at that point of the time, then I can change the trek itself.

Thanks,
    Manzey

G'day Manzey,

I have a postal address for my guide in Seduwa but unfortunately no number. I hear he's in Kathmandu these days anyway.

I looked through some photos I have of the teahouses and found one with a number / email address.
    This was on a teahouse in YangleKharka - not the nice new one we stayed in but one next door that seemed to cater more to porters & camping groups.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishm...74438/sizes/o/
    If you make contact with this person I'm sure he could give you contact details for all others on the route.

The teahouses in Khongma and Dobato are owned by the same person - Pasang Sherpa.
    Pasang translates to Friday - Sherpa are traditionally named after the day on which they were born. A google search of Pasang Sherpa wont help much..

If the number in the photo doesn't work there is a British group on Makalu right now. I met them by chance in Khandbari.
    They are attempting to summit today or tomorrow and do have contact with the outside world.
    You may be able to contact them via their facebook and ask them to collect a few numbers for you.
    Their facebook for the expedition is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Makal...20730421376711

Cheers,
    Michael

Thanks Michael! That really helps and I will contact the tea house owner. I am also following the British group's expedition to Makalu summit since yesterday, but never thought of contacting them. (thanks to --> Bistari_Barelegs who is also planning for MBC in 1st week of Nov).
    Thanks for the tip and let me know once you update your blog with the latest information and pictures.

Cheeers!
    Manzey

Update: Mail to nima_sherpa033@yahoo.com bounced back and the phone nos doesn't seem to work. Will keep trying. Will try FB.
    Last edited by Manzey; 23rd October 2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Update

Gud luck for your trek.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobj View Post
    Gud luck for your trek.
    Thanks for your wishes!

Cheers & Happy Outdoors!
    Manzey

Quote Originally Posted by Manzey View Post
    @Boulia

Thanks for your response.

20 plus treks in Nepal itself ? WOW!!! You have all my respect and I would be very happy if I can do half of as many treks as you have done in Nepal one day. Sadly, its only my 3rd in Nepal.
    If you don't mind, may I ask since when are you trekking in Nepal and what are the treks you have done in Nepal and how do you rate each one and your top three or five treks ?

I am hoping that things would be slightly better compared to 2012 and due to development, there might be additional tea shops open in the region ? (Or probably not since there are hardly any trekkers in this area ? ) or I should rather pray that there won't be any sherpa wedding in the region during the time of my visit.....else I need to carry my tent which is additional 3.5kgs.
    Last year, I was in ABC in mid December and I thought that it was not that cold and hoping that it will not be cold in mid November in Makalu region or does this region gets much colder and earlier compared to ABC ?

Thanks for your response.

@Roger
    Sir - thanks a lot for your advice. You have been very kind enough to reply to all my queries.
    By the way, my change of dates is from 31st Oct to mid November and the reason for this is one of my friend is coming for this trek. I thought its better to do this trek with a trek buddy rather than doing alone. I should also probably look for more trek partners.

Thanks once again.
    Manzey.
    Hi Manzey
    This is sri24, a new entrant to the forum. with great interest i followed your posts and queries in the forum about makalu base camp.
    I have been planning to go to Makalu base camp since sept 2015, but was not able to fix a proper date due to other commitments.
    Now i propose to do it as you had done it in 2014(ie) to go in Mid november,(17th november to 2-12-2015).
    I would greatly appreciate if you can give me information regarding, hiring of guide/porter, availability of tea houses on the trek route,
    the logistics, and approx cost of the trek from Home to home,
    There is one more trouble to overcome! Since you will be aware about the current political turmoil and blockade of border crossings in Nepal, i am waiting for it
    to get back to Normal.
    Regards
    sri24

Hi Manzey
    This is sri24, a new entrant to the forum. with great interest i followed your posts and queries in the forum about makalu base camp.
    I have been planning to go to Makalu base camp since sept 2015, but was not able to fix a proper date due to other commitments.
    Now i propose to do it as you had done it in 2014(ie) to go in Mid november,(17th november to 2-12-2015).
    I would greatly appreciate if you can give me information regarding, hiring of guide/porter, availability of tea houses on the trek route,
    the logistics, and approx cost of the trek from Home to home,
    There is one more trouble to overcome! Since you will be aware about the current political turmoil and blockade of border crossings in Nepal, i am waiting for it
    to get back to Normal.
    Regards
    sri24