Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBC trek around May 17th

Default EBC trek around May 17th

I'm planning to do EBC, leaving Kathmadu on May 17th, and am looking for some other travellers to go with. If possible I'd like to do the trek independently (no guides etc) and stay in tea houses along the way.

Default Re: EBC trek around May 17th

Sorry, my internet cut off before I could finish...the post should have read this:

I'm planning on trekking up to EBC around May 17th and am looking for some travellers to team up with. Ideally i'd like to do the trek independently (without guides etc) with people who are interested in doing the 14 day route from Lukla and back, however, I'm not adversed to starting out in Jiri/adding a few extra days on for side trips.

Without making this sound like something it isn't (!!) I'm 23, in good shape and have trekked previously in China and at home in the UK.

Get in touch if you are interested.

Thanks, Vicky

Hi Vicky
    I'm flying into Kathmandu on the 16th and need a couple of days to sort things out but I want to do the EBC trek, adding on the Gokyo lakes detour. I think it should take around 20 days in total.
    I don't want to use guides either but want to meet some other people to go with. Ideally I'd like to get a group of 3-5 people together.
    I'm 28, also in good shape but I'll be honest that I don't have trekking experience.
    Let me know if you want to discuss it further.

Hey guys,
    I was planning on doing a short trek because I have a flight from Kalkota on the 27th. Right now, I`m thinking about cancelling that and do a longer trek and I`d love to do the EBC... I am a 24 year old girl and just have little trekking experience in the alps. Maybe we could meet in Kathmandu today or tomorrow?
    Julia

Hi Guys,
    I won't be in Kathmandu until Wednesday and would probably need at least one full day to get my stuff organised but I'm happy to meet you when I get there? Sienna

If you can wait a couple of weeks .I will join you .Lots of experience trekking in Nepal and flying in around end of may for Jiri EBC .

Hi Folks,

I am Vivek male 28 from Delhi and landing to Katmandu on 18th May. I have a plan to do EBC via Gokyo Ri... My itinerary as follows:
    Day Date Day From To
    1 5/18/2012 Friday Delhi Kathmandu
    2 5/19/2012 Saturday Kathmandu Lukla - Phadking
    3 5/20/2012 Monday Phadking Namche
    4 5/21/2012 Friday Namche Dole - Via Mong La
    5 5/22/2012 Monday Dole Gokyo Via Machermo
    6 5/23/2012 Saturday Gokyo Dragnag
    7 5/24/2012 Monday Dragnag Phortse
    8 5/25/2012 Friday Phortse Pangboche
    9 5/26/2012 Saturday Pangboche Thugla
    10 5/27/2012 Monday Thugla Gorakshep
    11 5/28/2012 Friday Gorakshep Kala Pattar / Everest Base Camp and back
    12 5/29/2012 Saturday Gorakshep Kala Pattar / Everest Base Camp and back
    13 5/30/2012 Monday Gorakshep Degbonche
    14 5/31/2012 Friday Degbonche Namche
    15 6/1/2012 Saturday Namche Lukla
    16 6/2/2012 Friday Lukla Kathmandu
    17 6/3/2012 Saturday Kathmandu Delhi

Since our dates are quite similar, can we all plan together to do this trek. Also please share your contact details so can have a detailed conversation.

My email is vivekknayak1984@gmail.com and contact no. +91-9958002490.

Thanks
    Vivek

Vivek, your plan is a recipe for altitude sickness. Your ascent rate is too fast, you need to add in some days going up to Gokyo. Check the many itineraries online or buy a guide book and follow the proposed itineraries.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Smile Re: EBC trek around May 17th

Hi Escher,

Thanks for your advise. I am open incase buffer days required subjective if my body need it.

Further an you advise any online book which i can referr

You are trying to pack too much in. Delays into and out of Lukla are common and to be expected. Your itinerary makes no allowance for delays. Personally I would go up to Gokyo or EBC not both unless I was fit, a good acclimatiser and went over the Cho La instead of around via Phortse. If you have not been to altitude before I would not advise this. If you are fit and strong and happy at those heights then I say go for it! If you have good weather, don't get ill, acclimatise well and your flights in and out aren't delayed then you'll be fine. However if you get stuck in Lukla on the way down you will miss your flight home unless you can hike out 5/6 days and 10 hour bus to KTM, or can stump up 1000's of dollars for a helicopter. However, I have been lucky on occasions to pack in the same amount and been able to fly into and out of Lukla on time. Will you? Will I risk it again? Probably not.

But your ascent to Gokyo is definitely way too fast and would give most people severe AMS, you should be doing this (and also only pushing on if you feel ok - a small percentage of people will also suffer with this height gain, everyone is different so don't follow set out routes exactly but monitor your own progress and go slower if you need to:-

1 Lukla - Phakding/Monjo 2650m
    2 Phakding/Monjo - Namche 3450m
    3 Namche - Khunde/Khumjung back to Namche (or Mong La if feeling ok) 3450m or 3800m
    4 Namche/Mong La - Dole 4100m
    5 Dole - Machhermo 4400m
    6 Machhermo - Gokyo 4750m
    7 Gokyo Ri, side trip up glacier

Gokyo is fantastic, quieter than EBC and well worth a couple of days to explore. Afterwards you could:-

8 Dragnag Phortse
    9 Phortse Pheriche/Dingboche
    10 Pheriche/Dingbiche Lobuche
    11 Lobuche Kala Pattar Lobuche
    12 Lobuche Sanasa
    13 Sanasa Lukla
    14 Lukla KTM
    15 Lukla KTM contigency
    16 Fly home

But you should probably miss out on EBC so to have one day contigency, even then it is a big risk.

Personally I would just go to Gokyo and explore and if I had spare time visit Thame or somewhere else on the way down.

BTW I haven't been round via Phortse so my itinerary might be slightly wrong there. I went over the Cho La instead which is quicker, but not for the inexperienced unless with a guide.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher