Thread: Some points to consider about recommending and taking recommendations

Default Some points to consider about recommending and taking recommendations

A few things to consider about making a recommendation after your trek, and also considering a guide or agency someone else recommended...

Recommending guides:
    1. Realise it is a great responsibility to recommend someone else's services. You should not do it easily, just because your trek happened to be ok. People like different things. What worked for you, might not work for other people. Plus the guide or agency you're so enthusiastic about, might not behave in the same way next time around.
    2. This might sound elitist, but just because you trekked in Nepal once, does not make you an expert at judging professionalism, character and behaviour of a guide, porter or agency.
    3. Make your recommendations based on behaviour displayed by the guide/porter, and less on your reaction to that behaviour.
    4. Realise that when your first post on trekinfo.com is your recommendations for an awesome guide or an amazing agency, people have the right to be somewhat cynical. Not necessary just about how genuine your recommendation is (that too), but whether you really know what you're talking about.

Considering recommendations:
    1. Be very cautions about people recommending an amazing experience (with a guide or agency), who have posted only once or twice. You can check the number of posts they have contributed, and even see if they have genuinely contributed to other parts of the forum. If the firs time they post is in this section read everything with caution.
    2. Some "recommendations" are obviously not genuine. We try our best to keep them out. But even from the seemingly genuine ones, often they are cut & pasted (with small modifications about the name of the guide or email address) from other forums or sites on the internet.
    3. Check with the person who recommended. Write them an email, ask for a phone number, talk to them in person. This is worth a few dollars/pounds/euros to verify the authenticity of the recommendation.
    4. Just because you see 4-5 people clamoring to recommend a guide, it does not mean they are genuine recommendations. In fact, if those 4-5 "recommenders" only have 1-2 posts contributed to this forum, be a bit cautious. The chances of consistently good service and recommendations being genuine, is when there are several recommendations by various people made over a period of time (separated chronologically by some significant period, not a flash in the pan).
    5. Do your homework well in advance of a trek, and seek people, guides, companies that are well recommended by people who have been to Nepal a number of times. You find them on this forum, and other forums like it. Knowing what to expect can be important, especially if it is your first time in Nepal. To say that the culture of doing business (and guiding is a business transaction, ultimately) is different in Nepal compared to your country, would be an understatement; that does not mean it is bad, just different. I recognise there that some tourists love surprises, not everything planned in and known in advance. I am talking about false assumptions, false ideas about what to expect.
    6. Communicate with the guide yourself, be it by email or phone. Be a bit cautious when all the answers you receive are "yes".
    7. Communicate with more than one guide/agency. Compare not just their prices (you usually get what you pay for...) but their response and communication style.
    8. Ensure price is not your focus. As I said above, you usually get what you pay for. Be careful about someone offering a price significantly below average.

Final points:

1. Most guides and agencies in Nepal try to do a good job, and are not dishonest. Some do it with more professionalism than others. There are however some cases where services genuinely lack integrity and/or quality. Thankfully not too many.

2 Moderators on this forum do their best to weed out non genuine recommendations. However no responsibility can be taken with this, whatsoever.

3. I think this is worth repeating: just because someone had a good experience with some guide or agency, there is no guarantee that you will see things in the same glowing colour, once you trek with the recommended guide or agency. Chances increase if the recommenders have trekked with them several times, or there are genuine separate (especially chronologically), but there is never a 100% guarantee. Still, it is better to go with a recommended guide or agency, as the risk is somewhat reduced of having a bad experience. Here is a matter of trusting the person who made the recommendation, more than what they say about the guide or agency. Even seemingly genuine positive comments coming as a one-off post need to be read with some caution.

PS: If people can add to these "points to consider..." please feel free to do so. I would read them and add them to this list, if I think they are worth it. I am sure I did not capture everything there is to consider in relation to this subject.
    yakshaver

Default Some points to consider about recommending and taking recommendations

Dear Yakshaver
    the hints that you have posted in selecting a guide or trekking agent is a very useful and very interesting. Yes I was looking for recommondations and your advise gave me more clear idea on what I should looking for. thanks a lot again for your great advise as a senior member. We are beginners of trekking and such advises does take part in great mentoring.

I have noticed several good comments about guide " santaman" and looking for his contact details. please provide me if you have it and can recommend as a professional guide.

thanks and best regards
    Anoma