Thread: resurection of the Jomsom-trek

Thumbs up resurection of the Jomsom-trek

Once upon a time the Jomsom or Kali Gandaki Trek was one of the most beautiful treks in Nepal.
    Then a road was built wich reached Muktinath three years ago and nearly all the pleasure was gone. Walking for days on a dusty road wasn't really what trekkers were looking at.
    So more and more recomended just to take the jeep in Muktinath to
    Jomsom and drive down to Tatopani by Bus. Even knowing that there were still many beautiful side treks i could unserstand this.
    Fortuately ACAP realized (finaly) the terrible bad impact which the road had upon trekking tourism and started actively n 2006 to construct and organise a separated New Annapurna Treking Trail wich I call NATT
    In some parts it was just taking in account existing side trails but in a substantial amount kilometers of totaly new and beautiful trails were constructed.
    I have just returned from a three weeks monsun trek round Annapurna from Muktinath to Tatopani and on the Jomsom side i had to i walk in total less than one hour on the road and it was a day by day a wonderful treking. Having trekked Annapurna region since 1981 i must say that i even prefer the new route.
    i will probvide more and detailled Information in the next weeks.

So if you are planning to trek on the Jomsom side, just forget everything you heard and read in the last 3 years telling that t is not anymore a nice trek.

IT IS AGAIN ON OF THE BEST TREKING AREAS OF THE WORLD!

Default Re: resurection of the Jomsom-trek

That is great news maybe we will have a new around annapurna route now with new lodges as well!! await your report!

This is of course very good news! But won't it be like living on a pretend-to-be
    isolated beach on one side of an island, and fully knowing that at any time you
    could take a shortcut through the brushes and be at 7-eleven in 20 minutes,
    or hop the bus out of Dodge.

I always thought the remoteness was part of the adventure, what separates
    trekking in The Himalayas from a walk in Central Park.

That is great news. My first trek was in the 1992 and my wife and I had a life changing experience trekking Pkhara to Muktinath and return. I wanted to trek there again with my son, this year, but the road put me off so we're going to Gokyo instead.

WIth the NATT perhaps I can persuade my wife to trek again back where we did in our "youth".

I do agree with Lars though...a big factor was the feeling of isolation. Knowing that the only way out was on your own two feet added to the adventure.

Looking forward to a detailed report though and willing to give it a try

Looking forward to your detailed route Andrees! Done Jomsom last time in 2007 when the road started to greatly encroach. Looking forward to the alternative. Ah, that apricot brandy!!
    yakshaver

Very pleasing news. I did the AC in 1995 and 2002, and have been wanting to do it again. However, the road has put me off. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but on the basis of these posts, a mate and I have now decided that it's time to do the entire AC again!! We will set off early April next year. Hopefully by then any new trails will be better marked. Maybe take a guide.

I guess that with the Oct/Nov trekking season coming up soon, more trekkers may be making use of the NATT so we will hopefully see more posts about the state of the NATT over the next few months. Thanks for your posts Andrees.

Lightbulb Re: resurection of the Jomsom-trek an AC

I finaly completed a description of all the new NATT trails so that you can find them more easely. This description will be soon published in a little book but you can also download it as a PDF file.
    See mor and the link on my page
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...annapurna.html

I have already updated many pages of the Muktinath Area on the german part of may website but it will take some weeks till december till i can do the same with the english pages. People who are interested seeing photos and some maps of the areas may have a look as you dont have to understand the text to understand them. Navigate with the little yellow arows on the bottom of the page.
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/Nepal_Reiseb...ranipauwa.html

Thks Andrees you are a real gem!

Thanks Andrees......Jharkot was always (since first going there in 1999) one of my favorite places on this planet. Would love to return again (having done so in 2000 and 2001) but, as others, did not like the road and vehicle business. The remoteness from the outside world was a big draw. How is Jharkot today and does the new trail hit the same villages along the way while bypassing the road? But then, I guess these villages like Tatopani, Marpha, Kagbeni probably have cars and buses and jeeps and such now that will diminish the places that I have such fond memories of. Interested in what it is now like. Thanks again, Andrees. Tom Goldrup.

The road bypasses Jharkot.
    But is if you liked Jharkot you will love Chongur, Jhong and Puttak. And also kagbeni and Tiri. And the hight route from Eklebhati to Jomsom over the windy pass is marvelous.
    its really one of the best trekking areas with so interesting villages .