Thread: Nar Phu

Default Nar Phu

Hello everybody, we plan to trek to Nar Phu and Tilicho lake this august. I have two questions:
    1) The LP trekking guidebook says you need a restricted area permit but NO guide, while most people write in the different forums that you need also a guide. how is it really?
    2) the guidebook says that there are basic lodges in meta, phu and naar, while you have to camp in Dharmasala, khyang, nar phedi and kang la phedi. I was wondering if there are any new lodges in the area? And can we find simple places where to eat in the four campsites? also is it possible to get food on the way up?
    Thank you
    Leon

Default Re: Nar Phu

Petrus, kolobar and others have been on Naar Phu. I will write them a PM on this, see if they notice this post. I am researching this as well, as one of my next treks, so I will let you know what I find, in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 3rd August 2011 at 04:00 AM.
    yakshaver

Until Petrus, kolobar and others will share their insights, here are a couple of links of previous discussions on the matter:

http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2469
    http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27186
    Last edited by yakshaver; 3rd August 2011 at 03:59 AM.
    yakshaver

Unless the rules have changed recently you do need a guide, as Naar-Phu valley is a protected area. You can get the permit only through an agency, and you need two people/permits.

There are camping place cooking huts (in semi-delerict state)in Dharamshala, Khyang, Phugaon and Kang La Phedi, animal shelters in all semi-abandoned villages like Khyang, and some kind of lodges in Meta, Phugaon and Naar. There is also a Gompa and a farmhouse at Naar Phedi, you might get a place to lay down and eat there. So it is possible to do the trek without a tent, if you go a bit native. Food you can get at the lodges at least, and ask for basic food in the farm houses. I would carry some emergency ratios with me just in case. There are no teahouses at campsites (Dharamshala campsite is not even at a village), if there are people around in the villages you can ask for tsampa, chapatis or dahl baht. In any case you would need to go hungry no more than half a day... Old school trekking...

Naturally having a tent could be nice, and a kitchen, cook, kitchen boy(s), enough porters etc. etc... But, it is certainly doable like the locals do, just a bag of tsampa wrapped in a blanket.

If you want to take the Tilicho route to Jomsom you need a tent for at least one night. If you just want to see the lake there are lodges in three locations between Manang and the lake, plenty enough for a visit.
    Last edited by Petrus; 5th August 2011 at 02:58 PM.