Thread: Sherpani Col, West Col, Amphu Labsta

Default Sherpani Col, West Col, Amphu Labsta

Wondering if any one has any personal experience crossing any of these passes in the Everest region. Would love to hear things like what time of year you were there, weather, minimum gear required for crossing, route descriptions or considerations, or photos would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Default Re: Sherpani Col, West Col, Amphu Labsta

I have crossed only Amphu Labtsa, normal 5000m+ trekking clothing, crampons on plastic boots, ice-ax, harness, fixed a rope for the last 30 meters (came up from the north and went to Mera). My friends climbed Baruntse, getting up to the Barun glacier (West col) was hard they said. Talking to our Man in Nepal he said most trekkers actually going for the Barun glacier crossing (many more just dream and plan and ask for a quote, but never go) are in difficulties because it is harder than they imagined and were prepared for. Part of the reason is that most of them are on the older side, finally having the money for this kind of adventurous treks, as the arrangements are typically quite costly.

That's about all I know about the matter. There are sometimes people here who plan this trek, but I do not remember anybody reporting back. Very few people do it, actually, each year.

Hi there?
    sherpani col weast col and amphu lapcha pass is very challenging and rewarding trek, I did 3 time this trek, it is very nature and wilderness trek of nepal,
    about informations cor gear please visit here http://nepalindependentguide.com/she...l_trekking.php

I read an interesting article on The Great Himalaya Trail website recently with more information on the three cols trek, take a look at:

http://www.thegreathimalayatrail.org...lu-to-everest/

Looks like an amazing trek, another one on the to do list!

Cheers
    Jim

Hi Shawn
    I did this trek in April/May this year.
    I joined an expedition who were attempting baruntse and wanted to take this route rather than walking up through the Mera La.
    We trekked from Tumlingtar through the Arun valley to Makalu base camp and then over Sherpani col to the glacier. I think where we crossed was actually further north than the actual Sherpani col as our Sherpa's said the old route is very dangerous now. We still had to climb a ridge of about 120 metres and rappel down onto the glacier. For various reasons we ended up spending 3 nights on the glacier over 6000 metres. It's beautiful up there but as you might expect bitterly cold once the sun goes down. After this we rappelled down the West col and had a 3-4 hour trek to Baruntse base camp. I left the group after a few days rest and crossed the Amphu Laptsa with one Sherpa before walking down to Chukung were I left him and made my own way down to Lukla.
    I don't have a lot of technical climbing experience but have trekked over 5500 metres quite a few times prior to this and suffer very few side effects from altitude. this was definitely the toughest thing i've ever done physically and personally I wouldn't dream of going up there without an experienced Sherpa who knows the route unless you have a lot of previous high altitude alpine experience.
    I've also attached a few photos from the trek. feel free to drop me a message if you want anymore info.
    allen

https://picasaweb.google.com/1032096...pAndSerpaniCol