Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trekking EBC on August, 2011

Default Re: Trekking EBC on August, 2011

Thanks for your detail explain and i do understand it well. So seem to be AC is the only one choice if i want to run away from rain on August.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Monsoon weather systems come to the Himalayas from South. When they
    reach the mountains they are forced to climb, cool off, and drop rain.

When we trek around the Annapurnas a good portion of the trek is to the North
    of the Annapurna massif. The weather systems have already dropped all their
    rain on the Annapurna mountains, including the section called ABC, before
    reaching the northern part of the Annapurna Circuit. Thus that section is in the
    "rain shadow".

We who have trekked the AC have seen how extremely dry and barren that
    northern area is. It is obvious it practically never rains there.
    Going up to ABC however is quite the opposite. Very lush and green. Lots of
    rain, and snow, depending on the temperature.

Thank you for your information. And i want to know is it easy to get a jeep or bus to Chamche? How much is it if i go for Jeep or Bus?

By the way, I want know more that dose the flight between Jomsom and Pokhara will be usually on time on August? And can i get the plane from Jomsom to Kathmandu Directly? And do i need to buy the ticket now or buy it when i arrive kathmandu?

Thanks for my messy Question ^^ Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by trek View Post
    Namaste from independent guide of Nepal!

you all are giving wrong info, the bust go only bensisahar and jeep go only to chamche so not chame,

day 1: drive to bensisahar by bus and jeep to chamche,
    day 2: dharapani
    day 3: chame,
    day 4: pisang
    day 5 Manang
    Day6: rest day for acclimatization
    Day 7: yak kharka
    Day 8: thorong phedi or high camp
    day 9: muktinath
    Day 10 jomsom
    Day 11 pokhara early morning and if you want to come ktm same day possible by local bus,

I just back from this trek 3 days ago,

Thanks for your input and i do concern if it is possible to finish on time >.< I saw many people finished this trek on about 18 days. For a 1 time trekker like me in Nepal (I think i am not very fit but can walk 5 to 6 hours per day), is it a bit difficult? And is it good to hire the porter from helping my backpack?

Furthermore, is there any difficult section (Like Big Up and Down) on AC trek?

Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by peteris View Post
    This is possible if all goes as planned. But you don't have a big reserve. You need to start very early in morning to go to Chamje in 1st day (no jams in/near Kathmandu; it's wise to arrange special transport to Besisahar (no local bus), but be safe it is fast enough - it means not very old car). Also landslides are possible in Besisahar-Chamje section, we saw one after Bahundanda in June 2009 - no traffic then. If you are fit and well acclimatized then Manang-Thorung Phedi is possible in one day. I think planes to/from Jomsom are not canceled very often but others will know better. I don't think there would be much snow on pass in August to close it, usually it melts fast in August.
    I think it's doable if you are fit enough and acclimatize fast (as Petrus said), and all things come together in right order.

I think it isn't very difficult trek. No big up-and-down, except pass. From Thorung Base Camp it's aprox 900 m up to ThorungLa and 1600 m down to Ranipauwa (Muktinath) in one day, and it will be longer than 6 hours (there is option to stay for night in Thorung High Camp (aprox 4800 m) but you can get some trouble sleeping so high without very good acclimatization). You will already be fit after few days. And you can prepare a little bit before trek But, even if you get to Chamje by jeep, you start at aprox 2000 m altitude and you gradually go up. It's gradually, but it's up. Of course, there are some steeper sections (before Tal), but not long.
    You need good boots with you, I would not trust to Kathmandu shops for it.
    Instead of rest day in Manang I would opt for night in Ghyaru or Ngawal - excellent views, better acclimatization; but if you want to rest then Manang is better.
    We started very early in morning to avoid heat while in low altitude.
    I would opt for porter (porter-quide) - you will feel better and porter can be helpful (usually they are) to arrange things in lodges etc. It's up to you - how heavy pack you will have.
    I don't know about price for jeep. About flights Jomsom-Pokhara I think, that usually they are on time but can be cancelled/delayed if weather is really wrong. But others know more than I about this. I think Jomsom isn't so tricky as Lukla. No flights from Jomsom to Kathmandu directly.
    I ordered fly tickets to our guide before a trek but he manage only when I was already in Kathmandu. Maybe it's only my experience though. All Nepalese will tell you that "all is/will be ok", and usually it is But it would be big help to you to arrange us much as possible with some independent guide or agency before a trek (there is section in this forum with recommendations).

As my former experiences Everest Base Camp Trekking is not bad during the August. Of course! it will be still monsoon in Nepal. But if you have sufficient time (20 days for the Trekking) start from Jiri will be good looking for Nepalese live hood, and serving on traditional cultivation methods. But I am agree it will be
    problem fly back Kathmandu due to weather. So, Annapurna Circuit Trekking will be best for you; most of the this trekking is in rain shadow area. which offer some splendor view of mountains, local activities, animal husbandry worth able.
    The itinerary is following:
    # 19 Days Annapurna Circuit Classical trekking day to day Itinerary

Day 01: Drive Kathmandu to Besi Shahar (820m) - 5 to 6 hours
    Day 02: Trek Besi Shahar to Bahundanda (1310m) - 6 to 7 hours
    Day 03: Trek Bahundanda to Chamche (1430m) - 5 to 6 hours
    Day 04: Trek Chamche to Dharapani (1960m) - 5 to 6 hours
    Day 05: Trek Dharapani to Chame (2170m) - 5 to 6 hours
    Day 06: Trek Chame to Pisang (3190m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 07: Trek Pisang to Manang (3540m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 08: Explore Day in Manag for Acclimatization
    Day 09: Trek Manang to Letdar (4200m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 10: Trek Yak Kharka to Thorong Phedi (4450m) - 3 to 4 hours, or Thorong High Camp (4850m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 11: Trek Thorong Phedi via Thorong La Pass (5416m) to Muktinath (3800m) - 7 to 8 hours
    Day 12: Trek Muktinath to Kagbeni (2800m) -3 to 4 hours
    Day 13: Trek Kagbeni to Marpha (2670m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 14: Marpha to Ghasa (2010m) - 5 to 6 hours
    Day 15: Trek Ghasa to Tatopani (1190m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 16: Trek Tatopani to Ghorepani (2834m) - 6 to 7 hours
    Day 17: Hike up Ghorepani to Poon Hill (3210m) - 45 munities, to Hile (1480m) - 4 to 5 hours
    Day 18: Trek Hile to Nayapul (1010m) - 3 to 4 hours –take bus/ Car to Pokhara (950m) -1:30 hours by taxi or Bus.
    Day 19: Drive back to Kathmandu -7 hours by regular Tourist Bus.
    July 20: Free for your won destination.
    I would like to let you know Trekking Program first.

Picking up on the flights, I had to wait one day extra for the flight in Jomsom. If there is some cloud on a narrow portion of the Kali Gandaki valley (forgot the name of the place...) they planes do not fly. And during the monsoon this can happen. On the other hand you can probably make it by other forms of transport on the road, but it might take you two days...

If you're stuck on 9 days for the whole trek (Chamche to Jomosom) you cut it too fine. I took about 10 days from Chame (flew in by heli) to Jomsom, then had to wait a day, so 11 days in total.
    yakshaver