Thread: Where to trek in July/August?

Default Where to trek in July/August?

Hi there.

I hope I've posted in the right forum

My brother and I are planning a trekking holiday from the 12th of july to the 12th august. We are still not sure where we are going, so we hope that you guys could give us some advice!
    We are not very experienced trekkers, as we have only done one-day treks on The Azores, Corsica and Sicily, but we are in good form.

Here's our preferences for the trek:

- the trek should not be to expensive, as we are both poor students.

- we would prefer a trek where lodges are available, so we don't have to carry a tent.

- if it is possible, we would like to do the trek on our own - without guide/porters.

- the trek should not be to difficult because of our limited experience.

We have considered doing the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal. We know that we will hit the monsoon, but it seems as if many people have had good experiences in spite of the rain.

Any piece advice is welcome

Best regards Kasper and Nikolaj de Haan

Default Re: Where to trek in July/August?

Yes, the AC is good for that time of the year. From about Chame onwards (the third day or so) you won't have too much rain, until after Jomsom. That is because the Annapurna & Dhaulagiri ranges stop most of the monsoon cloulds. It is actually an excellent trek to be done in that season, as there are few tourists, and the high meadows are green and with beautiful flowers. Weather is milder too.

The only slight inconvenience is the hot, wet and humid weather you have to endure for the first three days or so. After that it is beautiful.
    yakshaver

Hi, I'm new at this and couldn't find what trek you're talking about. I'm very interested because I'll be travelling in mid June to Nepal and would like advice on what would be the best options for a 8 - 10 day trek during monsoon time.
    Also looking for a group to join.
    Thanks
    Mimeber

Hi Yakshaver. Okay, that sounds very good.

We would like to do the trek alone without porters/guide, do you know if that is possible and legal?

We've also been recommended trekking from Lukla to Mt. Everest Basecamp, which trek would you prefer doing in july/august?

@Mimember: Just search on "Anapurna Circuit"

http://wikitravel.org/en/Annapurna_Circuit

You can trek by yourself, it is not illegal.
    You still need to get your ACAP documents (permit) and your TIMS. If you decide not to get a guide or porter guide from some agency, then maybe your hotel in KTM can direct you to get these. They might even do it for you for a fee. Or your hotel in Pokhara. But to not leave for the trek without these docs.

I have no idea how to get these permits, as my guide always runs around doing this for me. But others here know, and apparently it is not all that complicated.

Regarding Lukla to EBC: in essence any trek in Nepal is great, no matter what the season. The monsoon transforms Nepal and the trails and villages have a much more interesting feel in my opinion, than the usual dry season when everyone goes trekking. No, or next to no, tourists for one thing...
    But if you want to see big scary mountains, there is a risk that you might not see them if you go to Khumbu (the Everest area). The risk might be only like 30-40 %, but it is there. You will see some mountains, that is for sure. The clouds will lift at some stage, even if in patches. But who knows, you might be unlucky. Not seeing big mountains will not necessarily make it a bad trek for me. But I have been trekking numerous times, and I do appreciate a trek without views, provided I see a different face of Nepal.

If it is your first time, I suggest you go around Annapurna. At least the section between Dharapani/Chame and Jomsom will be great, and you will get a chance to see some big vistas. Especially if you decide to take the high route from Pisang to Manang, via the high villages of Gyauru and Ngawal. Here a guide would be useful, but again, you can make it by yourself if you so prefer. It is a matter of talking to the locals, especially the lodge owners. The AC has other side trips as well.

Other more enlightened heads than mine, might have something to add here I guess. I mean, there are other treks to be done during the monsoon period, like Mustang, or Dolpo. These are also in the Himalayan "rain shadow". But you get into more expensive territory there, as they are more remote, and only the permits are something like 600 USD per person. For some, like Mustang, you need a minimum of two permits (though not necessarily two real trekkers, if you know what I mean).
    Anyway, I hope this makes sense.
    yakshaver

Hi Yakshaver

Thanks a lot for your advice! However, we have chosen to go to Ladakh in India instead, because there is no Monsoon here, and it still should be possible to do some homestay treks. I made a new thread on the topic:

http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthrea...7217#post57217

Best regards Kasper and Nikolaj