Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manaslu and Tsum Valley in May

Default Re: Manaslu and Tsum Valley in May

If you do the manaslu circuit, then you should do the Tsum valley. It really is worth it. We only had to use a tent one night at lokpa when the only room was taken already.

Quote Originally Posted by gotrek2012 View Post
    If you do the manaslu circuit, then you should do the Tsum valley. It really is worth it. We only had to use a tent one night at lokpa when the only room was taken already.
    Yes, agree. Add four days to the trek and go up the Tsum, see Mu Gompa, it is awesome. You need a separate permit, but your guide should look after this for you.
    I would disagree on just one night in a tent. I prefered sleeping in my tent, on my nice luxury matters (air plus down layer) than sleep in really dingy places with bed bugs. Personal preference of course.
    yakshaver

Default Sleeping bag to Tsum and Manaslu

Kia Ora,
    We intend to complete a 'Tea house' style trek in approx September this year. We will probably carry our own packs. Is a sleeping bag required? If so, is it advisable to carry a winter weight one?

Thanks for your input.
    Rebekah

Both fairly advisable. yes.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Both fairly advisable. yes.
    As rich says, get both. Reasons: sleeping bag is absolutely necessary as in some lodges you would NOT want to sleep on their bedding. Winter rating as you will sleep sleep at least a couple of nights above 4000 metres altitude. Cold in any season. And it is always colder in the lodge than in the tent.
    yakshaver

Yakshaver - Is that a fact, that the temp in a tent will be warmer than in a lodge? At altitude?

And I note that you supplement the supplied 'camp bed' with your own luxury mattress (even though someone has to carry it). I see that Annaconda has some self inflating mats on special now. How much does yours weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by nikky View Post
    Yakshaver - Is that a fact, that the temp in a tent will be warmer than in a lodge? At altitude?
    Especially at altitude - well at least if given even a light coating of snow which makes a great insulator.

Problem is it can even get too warm in the extreme. Especially if the weight of snow brings the tent down to within a few inches of your face threatening collapse. A good shake every few hours helps with that.

Obviously depends on the quality of your tent (...or lodge?).
    Is it warmer? I don't know but probably not as cold as you might expect.
    Last edited by rich; 26th July 2011 at 04:05 AM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver View Post
    And it is always colder in the lodge than in the tent.
    Not in my experience. I would say the opposite is true.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Escher View Post
    Not in my experience. I would say the opposite is true.
    Ah Escher, but you always refuse to take with you the inflatable trekking companion. Either that, or Scarlett Johannson inside your sleeping bag should keep you warm. But no, you wouldn't have any of it... Must be the puritanical upbringing. Or the catholic guilt.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by nikky View Post

And I note that you supplement the supplied 'camp bed' with your own luxury mattress (even though someone has to carry it). I see that Annaconda has some self inflating mats on special now. How much does yours weigh?
    Yes, counter intuitive I know, as Rich also confirms. Escher is not so enthusiastic about this idea...
    Tent size in relation to number of occupants is also a factor in this. A huge tent (say 4 person) with only one person sleeping in it might feel cold. But a 2person tent, with 2 people sleeping in it, good mats, warm sleeping bags, and (as they say in Australia) Bob's your uncle. Very comfy. More so than the lodge rooms which have no insulation whatsoever and are cold as hell. Sorry, hell is supposed to be hot, but you know what I mean. The type of cold that you feel inside your bones, and at the core of your being.

The tent provides an interesting micro climate, especially if there are two people sleeping in it. We had really cold nights in Tsum/manaslu, maybe -5 to -15 degrees at night in November once we got over 3300m altitude. Freezing everything outside. But were quite comfortable in our tents. Having said that, a good mattres (I had a inflatable one with a downe layer for insulation) and a good warm sleeping bag - they are a must!! Cannot emphasize enough. My tent colleague had a good bag, but he had a really crappy closed cell foam mattress (not even a self-inflating one...) and was not very comfortable. He was not cold, but the sleeping surface was very hard. Spend 300 dollars on a good mattress and you will NOT regret it at all. I now use the mattress even when I sleep in lodges. It packs light.
    The mattresses in lodges are not soft either, some are harder than the ground... If you sleep in a lodge, ask for extra blankets, and use them underneath you to make the damn thing softer.

MATTRESS
    I will give you the details/brand of my mattress tomorrow when I get to the shed to dig it up. I LOVE it. Not a self inflating one. You have to inflate it - -it has an inbuilt hand pump. It comes to about 8 cm thickness and about 65-70 cm wide. Also you can regulate how hard/soft you want it. And it has an extra layer of down on the top, where you sleep, providing exceptional comfort and warmth. I paid about 300 dollars for it, where a good self-inflating one (thermarest 5 cm thick, full lentgh, 50 cm wide) would have costed me 170 or so. Do not try to save money here. My tent colleague would have been willing to pay me 100/night to swap mattresses, or whatever else I wanted from him - he was so envious of my comfort. But I was way too comfy for any exchange of this kind. Plus he was male & hairy, not at all attractive.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 26th July 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    yakshaver