Thread: Spam via Private Message

Default Spam via Private Message

I've received a private message from a member called "exehounse" which is clearly spam. It includes a link which has not copied across to this note. The "To" list suggests that others will also have received it. Could you block/remove the offending member please?

I don't usually send out a PM But In This Case Who Wouldn't??
    Hello and how are you? I am sending you this for the reason that I stumbled upon something EXTRAORDINAY.

You have most likely seen this business before, but in my country we are very limited and I just can't believe what

is offeres by this great company. Global Domains International has not only it's own

FREE autoresponder. But has it's own Landing pages leaving just the task of sending traffic.

I wanted to promote this to you because if your not in a network marketing company already then your missing out.

Go and take the free trial and check it out. It's worth checking!
    Forward Message
    * thesilvertops *

Default Re: Spam via Private Message

Done. exehounse is gone

Received exactly the same spam again today. An email to my hotmail account and the identical private message from "exehounse". Is this guy sending these messages individually or is he using some sort of spambot? The link in the message is to a site in .ws
    * thesilvertops *

Also best you eliminate "ElorseNor"
    Some very dodgy stuff being circulated.

.ws = Western Samoa??
    Last edited by rich; 11th January 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Default Private messages

Has anyone else been recieving private messages to their e-mail, supposedly through Trekinfo, from the type of freak who occasionally infest these websites?
    The one I recieved yesterday was from someone calling themselves ElorseNor.

Default Re: Private messages

Already reported here, yes we know about it. In the last couple of days it seems the latest version of this bulletin board software has been cracked and the levels of spam are soaring again. Most of it is Russian and entirely spam, including the stuff that is going around the PM system. It's an arms war that cannot be won by other side, we just have to delete things as quickly as we can. If everyone can report the usernames of any spam they're getting then we will get rid of them as soon as we can. But it won't ever be possible to eliminate entirely.

Ps. I'll move this into comment and suggestions once you've had a chance to read.

Webmaster: can you look into any current patches/updates for the board? The level of spam is getting quite high again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I'll have another look for updates but the only solution seems to be another upgrade - which can probably cause other issues.

I'm travelling now and dont always have internet access so I'm a little worried about doing a major upgrade (version 3 to Version 4) now.

I deleted 50 spams today - so far it's all in advetrtising, which is moderated, so it's easy to identify it.

I deleted about 50 too, about 25% wasn't moderated though and appeared in the forums. Whatever you can do, whenever you can do it will be helpful.

Cheers
    Last edited by Escher; 12th January 2011 at 02:00 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Default Re: Private messages

Quote Originally Posted by a1jbg View Post
    Has anyone else been recieving private messages to their e-mail, supposedly through Trekinfo, from the type of freak who occasionally infest these websites?
    The one I recieved yesterday was from someone calling themselves ElorseNor.
    Yes I do, from time to time. But all social forums (FB, twitter) have this problem. I learned pretty soon to ignore any emails purporting to inform me that I have messages, or new people want to contact me etc.
    If I want info on the status of my account on trekinfo, FB, twitter, I learned to go directly there.
    yakshaver