Thread: Hot shower in Lukla/Gokyo region?

Question Hot shower in Lukla/Gokyo region?

Hi!
    A litle bit strange (stupid?) question: if - and where - hot water for shower is available on Lukla - Gokyo route? Me and my wife did in last years 2 Annapurna region treks ,and there you do have hot water everywhere when you feel like taking shower (I mean,not too high and cold); for my wife it was - and still is - very important (for me much less ).
    So - what about Everest region? Can I promise something to my wife?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Slowtrotter; 25th December 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Default Re: Hot shower in Lukla/Gokyo region?

Hi
    My Wife and I ,my Son and Girlfriend did Everest Trek from Lukla to Gorak Shep and back
    The only place we took our clothes off was at Namche Bazaar going out and 11 days later back at Namche.,where we really appreciated our wallow !
    I think you ve got to get in that frame of mind ,when you are trekking ,the same goes for the toilets some of them are Quite Interesting !!
    I would certainly be careful about PROMISING hot showers on the trek ,if you get any look on it as a bonus
    Nobody will notice if you smell a bit ,they will just think it is a passing Yak Train !
    Cheers Mike
    ps My son proposed marriage at Kala Patar in front of Everest ,the smell didnt seem to put her off !

Wicking fabrics are great to wear (keep you from getting stinky) and wipes are the best shower for trekking and a lifesaver! Many people take a hot shower most days after trek, then sit around shivering for the rest of the evening. Over the course of various treks, I bathed the smelly parts with wetwipes at the end of a days trek, and only showered when I absolutely couldn't stand the dirt in my long hair anymore. Note: Long hair meant I only showered if I was taking a rest day so my hair could dry in the hot sun or at night in those few lodges where I was certain the stove would stay boiling hot for me to huddle over until my hair dried (the White Yak lodge rules!)

That said, over the course of several treks, I have had very nice hot showers in the following locations en route to Gokyo:

Monjo - Kailash Lodge
    Namche - Moonlight Lodge
    Thome and Thame - can't recall lodge names
    Kyangjuma - Ana Dablam View
    Gokyo - Gokyo Resort

And though she will never see it here, a very special shout out to the wonderful woman who owns the lodge in Thamo: one day I took an afternoon hot shower to wash my long hair, but the sun had gone behind a mountain (taking warmth with it) by the time I finished (still hours before dark). She brought me into her kitchen, sat me in the place of honor closest to the stove, wrapped a shawl over my whole body and feet,and put a brazer of hot coals by my feet to keep me warm. Edit - yes, you can get that cold in the khumbu washing long hair.

Showers often available -- bucket of hot water almost always.

BUT: as noted previously, watch out for those showers etc after the sun goes down (unless the shower room is actually inside the lodge, which is not so common high up).

Why do you think it says "likes wet ones"...?

We did the EBC trek from Lukla in Oct 2010. We stayed in good lodges all along the way. I had a hot shower every day, except at Gorak Shep. There is hot shower available at Gorak Shep too. It was fantastic to have a hot shower after a hard trekking day ... very relaxing.

cheers,
    - manish

No More talking about Showers its making me want to go on a Himalayan Trek to get away from it all !!
    Merry Christmas and a Happy and Smelly Year to you All !!!
    Mike

Ah... the smell of unwashed bodies and clothing after two weeks in the higher Khumbu! Such quaint sensation! I want to go back to the the Himal NOW!
    yakshaver

Wink Re: Hot shower in Lukla/Gokyo region?

As we are leaving in a few days, I could make a special gift to you by sending some of our unwashed clothes to you at the end of the trek? That should "tweak" your memories!