Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 days in April, undecided about which trek to do...

Default Re: 22 days in April, undecided about which trek to do...

That is what I suspected. I recommend the east bank trail for Gokyo-Phortse travel, or vice versa. Less traffic, better views, old time feeling, animals in the forest near Phortse (thar & musk deer), also shorter.
    That's on my list for next time, maybe January/February 2012.
    * thesilvertops *

SO thanks again for everyone's replies....

It seems my friends want to do Annapurna, which is fine by me provided the roads aren't a bother. What I am mostly concerned about is the time frame. And if we should take porters/guides, and a whole host of other questions lol.

We will have 22 days in nepal, including arrival and departue days. SO realistically it seems that we will oly have about 17-19 days of trek time, because we will will need to purchase things in Kathmandu and travel to the location to begin the trek. It is absolutely essential that we get back to Kathmandu on the scheduled day be we have to be at our respective jobs the next day.

SO one more time through. If you were me (and you're not!) What would you do?????

You should be able to walk the AC comfortably in 17-19 days especially if you take a vehicle on some of the road section from Jomosom south. Do allow a full day each from Kathmandu for getting to/from the start/finish (Besisahar/Pokhara) of the trek and allow 1 spare day in Kathmandu at the end before you leave - just in case. Strikes (Nepali Bandhs) and road blocks (Chakkar Jams) are a way of life now in Nepal.

If you do decide on the AC then do walk the high level route between Upper Pisang and Manang.
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 2nd December 2010 at 01:38 PM.
    * thesilvertops *

In -06 we (my wife, first timer in Nepal, and me) walked AC in 14 walking days and 2 sick days for a total of 16, starting from Bhulbhule and ending in Naya Pul. We did not use transportation between Jomsom and Tatopani but walked, at that time there were no buses there yet. Taking some sort of transportation from Jomsom or Marpha (rather there, as it is a lovely village, 2 walking hours from Jomsom) to Tatopani saves one day. So, if you should have no problems walking AC in 15-17 days if you take a bus from Marpha to Tatopani and shave one walking day from the AC of old. If for some reason time is tight you can continue by bus from Tatopani saving another day. Or even fly from Jomsom saving 4.

The upper trail from Pisang via Ghyaru and Ngawal is the best part of the trail, still many people miss it either through ignorance, laziness or because trekking staff try to avoid the 300m extra climb. Go there! Also if you overnight in Ghyaru you already are 100m higher than Manang and you can skip the recommended extra acclimatization day in Manang if you feel like it.

I still think Khumbu is nicer than AC, and that is only because of the road, or the lack of it in Khumbu. But then my views are necessarily archaic, having trekked the old 23 day AC Dhumre-Pokhara twice, when we did not hear a single combustion engine in 3 weeks or see a wheel, except on a mountain bike one misguided soul was carrying on his back...

How much more difficult is Khumbu than AC?

I would say Khumbu is easier what comes to fitness, as you have to hike slowly and have several acclimatization days on the way up. Daily distances a quite short.

On the other hand in Khumbu you will stay above 4000m for about 6 days, on AC only 2. People who do not acclimatize well suffer worse in Khumbu.

Great advice from people. I don't know why, but I feel inclined to do Khumbu, however at this moment it seems my friends are more set on Annapurna. Considering I've never been to either of these places, either trip will be great. If we do the AC, I'll definitely take Petrus' advice and take the high route from Pisang via Ghyaru and Ngawal!

Once I plan a potential route I might post it on a new thread so you experienced trekkers can critique it. Cheers.