Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladakh

Default Re: Ganesh Himal

Cheers guys this trek is still on my "to do" list but for our main family holiday this year we are going to Ladakh for the first time. In fact we are going in less than 2 weeks!

We are doing a fully-supported camping trek with all the trimmings. This will be our first camping trek, and first time anywhere in Himalaya outside of Nepal.

It will be awesome ( I hope )

Paul

Hi Paul

Where are you hiking in Ladakh? We're heading there in a couple of weeks - due in Leh on Monday 16th Aug. - then a couple of days acclimatising before we start our trek. This time we're hiking from Rumtse to the Spiti valley via Tso Moriri and the Parang La. This will be our third trip there. In 1998 we hiked Lamayuru to Darcha via the Shingo La and in 2000 we hiked from Lamayuru to Stok via Stok Kangri summit. So, it's 10 years since we were last there and we're expecting to find big changes, particularly in Leh. I'm hoping the changes have not detracted from the beauty of it all.
    * thesilvertops *

Hi Silvertops,

We are arriving in Leh Sunday 8th August, fingers crossed.
    Our trek is from Lamayuru to Stok via Markha, which I think is a pretty standard sort of route and perhaps the same as your previous trek? We also are aiming for an ascent of Kang Yatse from Nimaling dependent on acclimatisation.

I suppose Leh is much busier these days than it used to be but I am sort of hoping that some of the old charm remains and that it has some unspoilt areas still.

Have a good trek yourselves - we looked at going to Rupshu but we thought that the prolonged high altitude and remoteness would not be good plan when trekking with 6 kids!

Do you have any tips for a first time Ladakh camper?

Hi Paul

You'll be well on your way when we get there so, have a good trip.

Tips:

1. Treat or boil all water. Remember that boiling point is lower at altitude so boil for longer.

2. If you buy fruit from trailside vendors, wash thoroughly with or stand it in treated water for some time before eating.

3. Take a football or similar with you so the kids can play and the local kids can join in. Breaks the ice, all the kids have a good time and you might get some good photos as well.

4. If there are two toilets make sure you use the right one. They have a system where one is used this year and the other next. All human waste goes on the fields whereas animal waste is collected, dried and burnt as fuel.

5. Have a great time, it's a wonderful place and the people are lovely.

Our camp at Lamayuru - July 27th 2000
    * thesilvertops *

I did two treks there is the last two years:
    Rumtse to Tso Moriri and then
    from Lamayuru to Padum
    still quite awesome!
    Have a great trip!
    Envious!

Guys, re the floods in Leh, would you go or stay at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul

Hi Paul

I've just picked up on this after reading your message. Sounds like they've had a hell of a storm:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/le...ews+-+India%29

I've contacted my travel company (Exodus Travels in London) and am waiting for their reply. We have a week to go but you're due to go this weekend aren't you. Are you travelling independently?

I've just watched the video in that report and I think it is probably a no-go. I don't think they'll want tourists around for a few days maybe even a few weeks whilst it's all sorted.
    * thesilvertops *

Yes independent travel, were going tomorrow.

I am still thinking about it but on balance at the moment we will not be going.

A tradgedy for Leh, just a lost holiday for us.

It looks like the flooding has come down from behind the palace and hit the town square on. A lot of damage is evident. Agree wholeheartedly about the loss - it's only money for us. I expect Exodus will send us elsewhere.
    * thesilvertops *

Paul

This is the reply I have had from Exodus:

We have been talking to our local operator in India all day about this as we currently have 2 groups in Leh and another 4 trekking with another 2 to follow tomorrow.

Presently we plan to run all trips as normal, with changes in trekking routes if necessary ( but at the moment we do not think this is necessary). The airport in Leh is closed at the moment but there are rumours it will open in a day or so.

So with regards to your group it should run as normal. Obviously we are monitoring the situation very closely and if something changed with regards to your trip we would let you know.
    Are you due in Leh on Sunday or Monday?
    * thesilvertops *