Thread: Tsum Valley Map

Smile Tsum Valley Map

Namaste. While researching I came upon maps for The Tsum Valley and Around Manaslu Trek. Im posting in case someone would like to research. Checking into this trek the Tsum looks incredible. If you were to visit would you suggest the whole valley or is a shorter trek into the valley sufficent?, How many days would you reccomend to do both Tsum and Manaslu allowing proper acclimatization without rushing it? thx. Avfan
    http://www.nepaltrektours.com/images...Valley-Map.jpg
    http://www.nepaltrek.net/map/manaslu_trek.gif
    Last edited by mtncanyon; 9th October 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: Tsum Valley Map

Ah to look at a map and not recognise any of the names on it
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

The detour into Tsum doesn't take too long; if you go at all, you might as well continue on to the 'end'. Here's my route (the places I slept) from last November (I headed off to the Annapurna circuit at the end). Apart from Braga to Thorung Phedi, this is not a fast itinerary:

Kathmandu
    Sante Bazaar
    Labu Besi
    Doban
    Philim
    Lukuwa
    Rain Jam
    Lar? nr. Rachen Gumba
    Lar? nr. Rachen Gumba
    Taju
    Lukuwa
    Bhi
    Namrung
    Samagaon
    Samdo
    Larkya Rest House
    Bimtang
    Thonje
    Chame
    Upper Pisang
    Braga
    Thorung Pedi
    Muktinath
    Jomsom

I went very similar only from Philim to Chumling then onto Chekampar then Rachen Gompa. I actually camped there a couple of nights and did two day trips from there. One up to Mu Gompa. You could go camp a little higher but around Rachen Gompa/Nile/Chhule you get lots of exposure to the locals and their way of life. My trek was 22 days including the bus out and bus back from Bessishar. I had a rest day at Samagaum too. When (not if) i go again i would consider bus to Gorka not Arughat then up to Lapubesi and if returning (not continuing around the AC) i would get on a jeep asap rather than walk. The road dust and hoards on the AC was a real low point after the Manaslu side.

Question Re: Tsum Valley Map

Sounds like many people really enjoy Tsum and Manaslu. Did you find the Tsum Valley different from the rest of Around Manslu? I notice there are many itineraries for this area. A 26 day trek including Mansalu skips parts of Tsum such as Ripet. Should time be made for those areas? Also, if its not possible to cross the Larkiya La how long would it take to backtrack to the roadhead? thx. Avsfan.
    Last edited by mtncanyon; 10th October 2010 at 11:01 AM.

Large size(1024 x 768)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6510216...n/photostream/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excellent information, thanks very much everyone.

Would it be possible to do a 2 week trek in lower Manasulu area in Winter, tea house style, without permit hassles and with easy access ( Gorkha, Arughat )? Any route suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul

Great Map, I was searching for one like that. Thx...

Here is another map of Tsum valley, but a trekking map:
    http://www.thegreathimalayatrail.org...f-tsum-valley/

Not great resolution, but quite good for desktop exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingpaul View Post
    Excellent information, thanks very much everyone.

Would it be possible to do a 2 week trek in lower Manasulu area in Winter, tea house style, without permit hassles and with easy access ( Gorkha, Arughat )? Any route suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul
    (Pokhara to) Gorgha to Arughat should be possible without special permits, and towards KTM at the same level. I have not seen an exact map showing the borders of these "protected areas" needing a special permit and guide, and conservation areas making ACAP or MCAP permits necessary. Have to google a bit...

Later....: the comprehensive list of restricted areas can be found at http://www.immi.gov.np/appendix at the very end of the appendix. There is no map, but all districts and villages affected are listed, so the next step is to find a governmental map showing the borders of those districts and village committees. A curious side note: It seems that the "3 passes" trek is not legally possible, as the trail north from Thame to Renjo La is restricted. Either I am mistaken, the appendix is outdated or the local police just does not care as Renjo La has become more popular and generates more business for Thame. More to come, maybe...

Finally...: you can find the UN maps by searching Wikipedia with name of district, district, nepal like this: gorkha district nepal and it comes up with a map of villages. Unfortunately on the appendix there is just a mention of Manaslu area with no reference where it actually is. Most other restricted places can be indentified with village names, but also upper/lower Dolpo and upper Mustang are a bit vague. At least the border of upper Mustang what comes to trekking has moved a bit north during the last few years.
    Last edited by Petrus; 28th December 2010 at 02:18 PM.