Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane Accidents and the Precautions

Exclamation Plane Accidents and the Precautions

Dear Trekkers!

If you are taking planes to mountains like Lukla and Jomsong, please try to choose the best trekking months , which are mid sep to mid dec and mid march to mid june, several Plane accidents occur because of the bad weather in Mountain in off trekking season.Its fact that there wont be good weather and good views during off trekking season even the travel agencies try to assure you , its all bullshit.

For Sharing

visit:- www.himalayahikers.blogspot.com

Some Cases:

Thrusday, 22 August 2002

A small plane carrying foreign tourists, including one Briton, crashed into a mountainside in the Pokhara Jomsong route killing all 18 people on board.

15 October 1973 - Royal Nepal Airlines De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter 300 (9N-ABG) was damaged beyond repair at Lukla Airport. The three crew and three passengers were unhurt.[8]

9 June 1991 - Royal Nepal Airlines De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter 300 (9N-ABA), after a flight from Kathmandu, crashed on landing at Lukla Airport following an unstabilized approach in bad weather. All three crew and 14 passengers were killed.[8]

25 May 2004 - A Yeti Airlines De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter Series 300 (9N-AFD), on a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, crashed in heavy cloud into Lamjura hill while on approach to Lukla Airport. The Nepalese accident investigation committee concluded that the captain provided inaccurate information to the Area Control Centre on his position. All three crew members were killed. There were no passengers on board.[9]

1 October 2004 - Sita Air Dornier 228 suffered a nose gear collapse on landing and slid, coming to rest blocking the single runway at Lukla Airport. As a result the airport was closed for two days.[10]

30 June 2005 - A Dornier Do 228 aircraft of Gorkha Airlines was attempting to land at Lukla Airport when it skidded off the runway. There were only minor injuries to the nine passengers and three crew members. The aircraft was reportedly withdrawn from use and written off after the accident.[11][12]

8 October 2008 - Yeti Airlines Flight 103, a Twin Otter, crashed on final approach and caught fire, killing 18 passengers and crew. Only the pilot survived.[13]

25 August 2010 - Agni Air Flight 101, a Dornier, crashed at Shikharpur, returning to Kathmandu after bad weather had prevented it from reaching the Lukla airport. All 14 passengers including crew died.[14]
    Last edited by urguide; 29th December 2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: email id

Default Re: Plane Accidents and the Precautions

You mention to only travel in peak times, but 3 of your mentioned crashes occurred during the Oct peak season, and a couple of the others were in June and May. So, by this logic, it might be best to fly OUT OF the main trekking seasons! :-)

great, I'm heading over there in 6 weeks time (Oct) to trek the EBC route. I'll be fidgeting with my 'worry beads' until we land at Lukla.

Unfortunately you can have bad weather in peak season as well so its not all season related.

Lukla is an amazing place to land.
    Since the 2008 accident, air safety authorities have established some stringent rules for landing and taking off from Lukla, with the runway closing at the slightest site of could or wind. This has made it essentially usable almost in a siminar manner to Jomson. Early morning, until about 11am. Though not quite as Jomsom.

Noting that the latest crash occured away from Lukla.
    yakshaver

Alas, paying attn to weather doesn't help the maintainence issues. 2 years ago my Agni flight go to Lukla only to turn around and head back to Kathmandu due to "no landing gear" -- apparently we had total hydraulic failure. Makes me wonder if this was the same aircraft that Agni just lost in their recent crash.

Quote Originally Posted by marcy View Post
    2 years ago my Agni flight go to Lukla only to turn around and head back to Kathmandu due to "no landing gear"
    Makes me wonder if this was the same aircraft that Agni just lost in their recent crash.
    Makes me wonder, how did you land back in Kathmandu without landing gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Makes me wonder, how did you land back in Kathmandu without landing gear?
    i think they often have a manual windout as a backup mechanism.

After several unsuccessful attempts, they were able to handpump the emergency landing gear down, though i think they were not sure it was actually properly locked into place.

The process was interesting to watch: Pilots read manual, try to pump the landing gear down; watch the wrong color light turn on; talk on the radio; repeat. No one gave us an updated report after the initial "no landing gear." So it was a pleasant experience to discover we were rolling when we got near the ground rather than doing a bellyslide or pinwheel.

When we landed, a large # of people ran up to look up inside the wheel mechanisms and ensure we werent going to burst into flames. A moment of en board humor was provided when, upon rolling to a stop in Kathmandu, the guy in the row behind us -- somehow blissfully oblivous to the entire thing -- happily exclaimed "Lukla!"

Quote Originally Posted by marcy View Post
    Alas, paying attn to weather doesn't help the maintainence issues. 2 years ago my Agni flight go to Lukla only to turn around and head back to Kathmandu due to "no landing gear" -- apparently we had total hydraulic failure. Makes me wonder if this was the same aircraft that Agni just lost in their recent crash.

I've flown to Lukla from KTM twice, and BOTH of those planes have since crashed. The first was the Yeti Airlines crash in October 2008. I was on that plane in 2006. Then, the Agni Air plane I was on in 2009 is the one that crashed in August 2010. I have photos of both planes, which is how I identified them. What are the odds that both planes would crash? Creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by PumoRi View Post
    I've flown to Lukla from KTM twice, and BOTH of those planes have since crashed. The first was the Yeti Airlines crash in October 2008. I was on that plane in 2006. Then, the Agni Air plane I was on in 2009 is the one that crashed in August 2010. I have photos of both planes, which is how I identified them. What are the odds that both planes would crash? Creepy!
    What do you mean "Creepy!"? It is clearly your fault. Maybe you should be arrested, or at least given a restraint order. If you have any dencency, please make sure you tell us (with pics) whenever you'r boarding a plane, both in Nepal and elsewhere, so that we can avoid them. Else we won'd be your friends anymore...
    yakshaver