Thread: Why K2?

Default Why K2?

We all know how Everest got its western name, and that she also has other
    names in Nepali and Tibetan.

But what about K2?
    Is there a K1?
    I have never heard any other name on K2.

No, I have not Googled it. This forum is not overly busy as it is.
    And I do know that K2 is not in Nepal.

Default Re: Why K2?

I though that one of the surveys done last century named all the big himalayan peaks based on height. Everest is K1. It's just that the other peaks have other more interesting or local names. I don't know why K2 doesn't.

According to wiki K2 was labeled (rather than named) by Thomas Montgomerie in an 1856 survey from Mount Haramukh, some 130 miles (210 km) to the south. K1 turned out to be called Masherbrum.

Quote Originally Posted by chuzenji View Post
    I though that one of the surveys done last century named all the big himalayan peaks based on height. Everest is K1. It's just that the other peaks have other more interesting or local names. I don't know why K2 doesn't.
    Everest was Peak XV in the peak list that was made in early 1800. Peaks were not named in the order of height, as the heights were not measured yet. The Nepalese name Sagarmatha was not made up until early 1960, for nationalistic political reasons. Nepalese (that is Gurungs, Newaris etc living in Kathmandu Valley) had no idea or interest on this peak, so there was no name for it either. We must remember that "Nepal" still means only KTM Valley to many "Nepalese" living outside of that political hub.

K2 is also named Godwin-Austen, but for some reason the name has not stuck. Too difficult, not as dramatic, not in line with the idea of finding local names?

From what I know, peaks of Karakorum were labeled Kx by Western expedition in 1856 , with other numbers representing Masherbrum, Gasherbrum etc. In Russia we used to call it also Chogori, but this name is like 50-60 years old. Name K2 stands until now also because it fits well to peak's second place after Everest, I think.

This story sounds like stuff about vitamins. It is easier to say Vitamin B2, than it is to remember Roboflavin. Or B12 instead of Pyridoxine phophate.
    K2 is a lot sexier, of course than any other alternative put forward.

Out of curiosity I checked Oli's explanation and it seems to be the most credible. Oli has never been wrong before. I don't think he can, even if he wants to.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver
    Oli has never been wrong before. I don't think he can, even if he wants to.
    Ha-ha! If only there was a grain of truth in that, but sadly no.

All I did was read wikipedia, any fool can do that. But I did check the citation, and although I have not read "K2: The Story of the Savage Mountain" I know that Jim Curran is a reliable source. I am confident that, this time, I am correct.

Vitamin K2 is menaquinone.