Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manaslu Tsum Valley track notes

Default Manaslu Tsum Valley track notes

The Manaslu and Tsum Valley Trek

The Manaslu Valley Trek is more remote and spectacular than many, with rough steep tracks and limited accommodation. It is culturally fascinating with strong continuing links to Tibet in the upper Buri Gandaki (called Nupri ‘the western mountains’) and the Tsum Valley, and even has the Larkya La (5100m) as a challenge. The views of Mt Manaslu, eighth highest mountain in the world, are marvellous and close.

The remote Tsum Valley side-trip should not be missed. In nine trips to Nepal this was the absolute highlight, with strong, friendly, hospitable people, a living Buddhist culture and untouched wildlife because of Buddhist prohibitions on hunting. Tsum comes from the Tibetan work 'Tsombo', which means vivid and we can only agree. The people are poor, since they have been bypassed by development for centuries, but this means their unique culture has remained intact.

As my wife said: “Tsum Valley was FANTASTIC. To be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be very different from where we'd already been but as soon as we made that right turn off the main track it suddenly seemed we were entering a hidden valley full of untouched forest so beautiful we called it the Garden of Eden.”

My wife and I trekked this route in April 2010 with another couple, a guide and two porters. We took 18 days (11 days for the Manaslu part and 7 days for Tsum) although it can be done in more or less. In particular, there are lots of ways to see Tsum Valley – this is what we did. The skies would be clearer in September-October.

Since many people don’t know where there are lodges, and since there were neither maps nor track notes for Tsum before, here is some current information which we hope will make the route more popular and so help improve the number and standard of the lodges.

Detailed track notes and a few photos at http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...epal/Nepal.htm

Default Re: Manaslu Tsum Valley track notes

Thank you for the very useful notes and the photos. Are the photos viewable elsewhere at a better resolution. They don't come across well in the pdf.

I may have to go back to Nepal.........
    * thesilvertops *

Quote Originally Posted by Taghairm View Post
    The Manaslu and Tsum Valley Trek
    Thank you very much! At last I have some idea of where this elusive trek
    actually is. And I realize that I probably saw some Manaslu trekkers a couple of
    years ago just as they joined the AC. I thought they were odd since they
    insisted on camping in the back yard of the lodge. I never talked to them
    myself but my friend did, and I never understood where they had been.

Are you saying that September and October would be the best months for this
    trek?

Was there just the two of you, or could the agency team you up with others?

Great Notes - i was in Tsum about the same time. i would add thats there is a great spot to camp at Rachen Gompa as well as a little well stocked shop with Chinese goods.

My guide for the trek was there twice in Oct-Nov 09 and stated they had lots of snow on the pass both times and from reading others accounts it seems there can easily be snow issues on the pass. We had no snow until about 4850m, just a slippery ride down the other side.

I am sure this trek will get more popular and so the opportunities to join others will present themselves. I went as a single, paid the extra permit costs and had camping and cooking support where we couldn't use or find local facilities. Overall i felt my costs were still very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulia View Post
    Overall i felt my costs were still very reasonable.
    Do you recall how much the total came to? Just a ball park figure!

I have never had guides and porters and only needed to plan for my own costs,
    but realize that going to undeveloped places may require a crew.

Hi lars

average daily costs came to just under USD70, food, staff, camping equipment, permits, local transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulia View Post
    Hi lars

average daily costs came to just under USD70, food, staff, camping equipment, permits, local transport.
    Thank you. Terrific! Totally reasonable.

Do you think September is a good month to go. Seems early to me.

We just asked for a quote for a small scale Tsum semi-camping trek for a couple and it came to 1300€/pax for a 24 day trip (Arughat-Arughat, 22+2 days). 7 staff. That would be 54€/day but does not include food. Planning to eat in lodges where possible and buy local supplies where there are no services.

Hi there

I've taken note of the need for better photos and they are now here:
    http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...Tsumphotos.htm

I agree that October - November would be better than March - April - May as the haze sets in during the pre-monsoon months.

Four of us took a guide and two porters, total cost for four was $US50 per day plus we bought our own food and lodging where available, perhaps another $US10 per person.

cheers

Taghairm

Hi all

Just back from a trip over the Thorung La to get acclimatised then into Mustang and out down the Kali Gandaki gorges and tunnel by truck! Notes later, but I found out that there is now a hotel/lodge at Dharamsala, so the whole Manaslu circuit can be done in teahouses and lodges, no need for tent (although a tent may still be required if you are also going into Tsum Valley).

cheers

Taghairm