Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arun Valley Trek (Solu Khumbu to Tumlingtar)

Default Re: Arun Valley Trek (Solu Khumbu to Tumlingtar)

The younger lady is possibly Pasang Anje Sherpa or perhaps her sister. The brother is the Head Lama at the monastary above Pangom and apparenty paints a good thangka.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

The Didi in the Namaste lodge made us an awesome daal when we were there last year in October.

Hi there

I've put the photos into a webpage (rather than a low-quality pdf) at:
    http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...Arunphotos.htm

Hope more people enjoy this trek as much as we have - can't wait for next time.

cheers

Taghairm

I came back from Khumbu a few days ago to Tumlingtar. Firstly let me say i found the trek notes from Taghairm very good. I enjoyed the trek but it was tough at times and i would rate it harder than the Jiri section.

I unfortunately didn't have the same enjoyable experinces at all the lodges that others have had. Firstly, everything in the notes about the Trekers lodge at Pangom is true except the lady has now taken to telling the unsuspecting no other lodges are open. The new lodge as you enter is still not complete.

At Khiraule the Himalaya lodge is an excelent standard but extremely expensive with a few tricks i did not appreciate like always bringing a large pot of tea when you ask for a cup and saying 'no problem' just drink what you want(i didn't suspect it was a ploy till a 1000 rupee bill next day)

There are many teahouses along the way which are great value for simple food and drink.

The Namaste Lodge at Najingdingma says they will build a new lodge within 1 year. and 20 minutes over Suke Pass a new lodge is getting close to openning.

Gompa lodge at Sanam is best avoided unless you wish to share with many dead mice and a son who inists on blowing his nose on the towel used to wipe your plates before dinner(well a subsitute for food) is served.

The Kirat Lodge was interesting as the locals had just finished a morning long drinking session and had decided to settle an intra village dispute by fists.

I am not sure how/if the lodges will develop in the future as the low number of trekkers doesn't provide much incentive for the owners to develop.

Still its a great walk and i would recommend it.

from Boulia: I came back from Khumbu a few days ago to Tumlingtar. Firstly let me say i found the trek notes from Taghairm very good. I enjoyed the trek but it was tough at times and i would rate it harder than the Jiri section.

I agree -- it is harder.

I unfortunately didn't have the same enjoyable expereinces at all the lodges that others have had.

I agree again!

Also, though we found the "trekker's lodge" at Pangum quite acceptable (it was the only lodge open when we were there in 2008 -- we checked ourselves) the (male) proprietor was hardly "friendly" -- he barely acknowledged our presence.

Firstly, everything in the notes about the Trekkers lodge at Pangom is true except the lady has now taken to telling the unsuspecting no other lodges are open. The new lodge as you enter is still not complete.

At Khiraule the Himalaya lodge is an excellent standard but extremely expensive with a few tricks i did not appreciate like always bringing a large pot of tea when you ask for a cup and saying 'no problem' just drink what you want(i didn't suspect it was a ploy till a 1000 rupee bill next day)

There are many teahouses along the way which are great value for simple food and drink.

The Namaste Lodge at Najingdingma says they will build a new lodge within 1 year. and 20 minutes over Suke Pass a new lodge is getting close to openning.

That's what the Namaste lodge was saying in December 2008. Nevertheless, this bamboo shack proved to be our favourite (off the Jiri-Lukla trail) due to the great people and great food.

Gompa lodge at Sanam is best avoided unless you wish to share with many dead mice and a son who inists on blowing his nose on the towel used to wipe your plates before dinner(well a subsitute for food) is served.

It continues. In 2008, Gompa Lodge in Sanam had inedible dal bhat that was rancid (odd for Nepal) and very noisy (and unhappy) family all night -- go to the lodge next door.

The Kirat Lodge was interesting as the locals had just finished a morning long drinking session and had decided to settle an intra village dispute by fists.

I am not sure how/if the lodges will develop in the future as the low number of trekkers doesn't provide much incentive for the owners to develop.

Still its a great walk and i would recommend it.
    Last edited by Landfall38; 26th December 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Smile Re: Arun Valley Trek (Solu Khumbu to Tumlingtar)

Hi there

From 1 July 2011, please access our Nepal information, track notes and photos for Manaslu-Tsum, Arun Valley, Muktinath-Kagbeni and Upper Mustang at
    http://www.fedup.com.au/information/...al-information

cheers

Taghairm

Hi All.

I done this trek after walking in from Jiri, through Lukla, onto Kala Patthar, back through Lukla and was without a doubt the highlight of my 3 months in Nepal.

It was in April 2010 and just as the trails were getting heavy under foot with tourists the road out to Tumlingtar was quiet as. I wanted to add how awesome the food at the Namaste Lodge in Najidingma was. After smashing some noodles there for lunch, I decided to hang around and wait for dinner, Didi had the touch.

The new lodge was still getting worked on (by i think the husband of the same lodge in the previous town, who is married to Didi's daughter.. Something like that).

I would recommend to everybody to either walk out through the Arun Valley or even out to Jiri, its so worth it.

Namaste
    Camma