Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best direction for Langtang trek

Default Best direction for Langtang trek

We plan to do the Langtang valley trek in April 2012. But are we better to start from Dunche or Syabru Besi ? The places we will visit are Syabru Besi -lama Hotel - Langtang - Kyanjin - Lama Hotel - Thulo Syabru - Dunche.

Is it easier to go clockwise or counter clockwise ? With children ?

Default Re: Best direction for Langtang trek

Suggest you start at Syabru.

The climb from Dhunche is fairly steep but then a pleasant enough traverse over the ridge. So probably best to do in a clockwise fashion from Syabru if anything. If starting from Dhunche, then Dursagang or Thulo Syabru might be a good first stop. You could easily miss out on starting from Dhunche and add a half day in somewhere else (e.g.: return alternative scenic high route via Syapagoan - that is start and finish in Syabru but return another way.

Also Dhunche to Lama Hotel is a far distance (big climb and decent then another climb - probably too much for one day. However Lama Hotel is easy from Syabru.

Not sure whether or not your list represents the number of days available but, an extra day or two might be best for good acclimisation and seeing the sights of the Upper Valley past Kyangjin.
    Consider a stop on the way in at Ghore Tabala for acclimitisation, rather than pushing on to Langtang. The quick acsent to the Upper Valley can catch some people out.
    Last edited by rich; 12th July 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Kathamandu Nepal at the moment in Germany for two month

it is very good idea to go from sybrubesi it will also good drive to syabru besi because they made good road when I have been there up there in kynjing gompa you should spent two night at lest because there is many place to to hike & exploring palce way back you can go via thulo syabru and Dhunche

Personally I would come back via the high route ( Serpagoan etc ) so that means a finish at Syabru Bensi. The high route gives a contrasting feeling on the trek as it is open and has good views across the valley and to Ganesh Himal, as compared to the main trail up the valley alongside the river ( for the most part ) which is pretty much through dense forest with few views. Syabru Bensi also has at least one very nice lodge with lawns etc.

I have trekked Langtang a few times and last time with my son. I would say that it is a fairly tough trek for kids, very underestimated. There is quite a bit of up and down whichever route you do, and you have the potential to get fairly high fairly quickly.

You could start where you like but I would consider taking a jeep to Dunche, leaving nice and early, then you could get on the trail the same day, maybe to Thulo Syabru ( days are very long in April ). Dunche is not too attractive from a tourist perspective. After Syabru there is a nice trail down to the river, where you could go on to Lama Hotel, then Langtang village the next day, Kyangin the day after. You can come down from Kyangin to Syabru Bensi in 2 moderately long days via the high route.

Thanks for the tips. What is the high route like back down to Syabry Besi, i hear it is very precipitous ? is it OK for children.

Yes no problem really
    Walk when you walk - Look when you look
    Often see large troops of monkeys up there
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Yes the trail is fine for kids as long as you are sensible about it. There are a few sections where you are walking across grassy 45 degree plus slopes, but the path is quite wide and relatively flat at this point from what I remember.

As a few others have said, this route is well worth doing. You go through ( I think ) 2 decent sized villages with really nice lodges. The lodges were not part of the Langtang menu price-fixing cartel so the food and drinks are good and cheap, maybe 50% of the main trail prices when I was there in late 2009.

...and that's about the worst of it. No problem.
    rich

Default Dutch killed in Rasuwa landslide

Dutch killed in Rasuwa landslide : ekantipur.com 2011-07-20

http://www.ekantipur.com/2011/07/20/...de/337725.html

Mighty monsoon brings misery: 10 die in rain-related incidents : The Kathmandu Post 2011-07-21

In Rasuwa, a Dutch trekker died in a landslide at Bambu area on Wednesday. The dead has been identified as Chris Van Ravesbery. Another Dutch trekker A Van was injured in the incident.

http://www.ekantipur.com/the-kathman...ts/224222.html