Thread: Manaslu or Naar and Phu in April

Default Manaslu or Naar and Phu in April

We're finally returning to Nepal http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/image...es/biggrin.gif but we're limited to April 2011 because of our friend's commitments. The girls wanted to return to the AC but I think they may be disappointed, there seems to have a lot of changes since 2002.
    I remember following the Manaslu thread on this forum last year and we have all agreed this might make a good alternative, or perhaps Naar and Phu?
    A small problem arises in that both myself and my friend's wife are a bit nervous descending exposed sections in snow, and I guess this may be a possibility in April. Has anyone done either of these treks in April and is the descent from Larkya La or Kang La particularly unpleasant in snow? For example, is is worse than the descent from High Path on Jarsang Khola on the AC?? http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
    Any advice welcomed!
    Cheers
    Huw

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_XM_uselGFkg/Su.../HIGH_PATH.jpg
    Descent to Phedi (Huw's Bane) - note the 3 trekkers climbing straight down!

Default Re: Manaslu or Naar and Phu in April

Larkya la is not exposed at all. Much gentler pass than Cho la or kongma la. I don't like exposure either. Manaslu is a fabulous trek. I would do it again and very rarely repeat trips.
    It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun!

Thanks Sharon, that's reassuring and so is your remark that you would do it again.
    Before we finalise arrangements I want to enjoy exploring all possibilities; have any of our regulars done the Naar and Phu trek? I wonder how it would compare for scenery with the Manaslu trek?
    Huw
    PS I see I made a mess of attaching a photo to my post, must re-learn that skill!

Loved Manaslu. And you can add Tsum valley to it these days, go to Mo Gumba. Absolutely fabulous.
    yakshaver

We were in NarPhu last year in April. We tried first to go around Manaslu, but turned around from Sama Gaon, too much snow, and made a trek-bus-trek detour from the south. After reading about Tsum valley I do regret that we had not planned that.

NarPhu is quite different from Manaslu (Buri Gandaki) valley, it is high all the time (above 3500m at least) and arrid desert at that time of the year. Very amazing and the villages are ghostly. Try to find out books about the local history, there are several Khampa settlements, now deserted, there, reminders of the reason the area was closed for so long (Khampas fighting the Chinese in Tibet from Nepal, financed by the CIA).

As the NarPhu part must (practically speaking) be done camping style, add Tilicho Lake route to that and get a great old fashioned adventure where you get over two (or three depending how you count them) 5300m passes, visit a hidden secret valley with lost culture etc etc...

Image: low-rez photo from Phugaon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Petrus
    Thanks, that's very interesting. Your description of the Nar Phu landscape sounds fascinating, I guess it must be a bit like Ladakh? Do you have an online photo album or journal of your trek??
    Thanks
    Huw

Quote Originally Posted by Huw View Post
    Hi Petrus
    Thanks, that's very interesting. Your description of the Nar Phu landscape sounds fascinating, I guess it must be a bit like Ladakh? Do you have an online photo album or journal of your trek??
    Thanks
    Huw
    Hi Huw: I'm kind of thinking about Manaslu, too. BTW, here's a link to the best of my AC photos, no captions but you can figure it out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alan.se/Nepal#

Hi Zemmo
    Nice photos and nice camera! I was thinking of buying one of those 4/3rd Systems later in the year!
    I particularly like the photo looking down on Kagbeni.
    Cheers
    Huw

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Larkya la is not exposed at all. Much gentler pass than Cho la or kongma la. I don't like exposure either. Manaslu is a fabulous trek. I would do it again and very rarely repeat trips.
    I agree with Sharon on both points (Larkya not "exposed"; trek worth repeating).

My slight point of departure is that the area (Sama--> Larkya) seems to get a lot of snow (our April 1993 trip had major snow issues -- we made it but camped in snow for 1 week; groups 1 week ahead didn't all make and had deaths due to exposure).

Hmm. Well the approach to the Larkya La is very gentle, but quite long - not exposed at all. The descent, though, I thought was pretty steep for a while, and I was actually glad that there was a fair amount of snow. I'm not sure I'd call it 'exposed', in that there are no big drops or chasms, but it required some concentration. It's not a huge descent, though, unlike Thorung La.

One thing worth mentioning - and I agree with Landfall here - is that I don't think I've ever been as cold as on the Larkya La, even while walking fast; and I don't get cold easily (this was mid-November 2009). Of course if you're properly dressed you'll be absolutely fine (I was very glad I had a balaclava, which I've never worn before or since), but porters could be in a lot of danger unless properly equipped.

Andy