Thread: Tour du Mont Blanc

Default Tour du Mont Blanc

This is not about Nepal but I thought someone here might know: I am doing the tour of Mont Blanc in late August/early September this year and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to hire trekking gear in Chamonix. I don't want to carry a sleeping bag/trekking poles/waterproof gear for the rest of my time in France so I was hoping to hire it all in Chamonix just for the trek.

Default Re: Tour du Mont Blanc

You will be able to rent gear. You will not need a sleeping bag. A silk sleep sack is all you need to carry as the huttes all have down duvets and pillows. The best thing to do is to joing one of the alpine clubs. I joined the German one when I did a transalp trip. This gets you a discount on food and accommodation as well as some insurance in the unlikley event you need a rescue.
    It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun!

Cool Re: Tour du Mont Blanc

hi chuzenji.
    I would also like to try a tour of one of the mountains in Europe this August, but I have zero experience in mountaineering and am looking for someone to join the trip. Is the tour you are planning very technical? If not and you would agree for a non-exp. person to join- please get back to me!
    P.S I am in great physical shape, have some exp. in backpacking with heavy loads, and have a good heart for physical demanding tours!!
    Dan Cohen
    Israel
    dan.07.dan@gmail.com

Dan, I get the impression the tour is a good hike and is not technical at all. I have read there are some long ascents and it can get quite cold at the top of the passes and at night even in Summer but that it's just a trail hike. I imagine there is quite some scope for side trips involving climbing and glacier hikes but that's not part of the main trail.

Have a look at www.walkingthetmb.com. It gives quite a lot of detail.

I am going with my 50 year old parents starting on or about 30 August but we haven't made any firm plans for dates.

We haven't decided whether to go clockwise or anti clockwise yet. Does anyone have a view about which is better?

The TMB is not technical at all though you may encounter snow.
    I did it with my then 16 year old son back in 1999. We carried full kit
    and had wonderful wild camps.
    There is around 1000m of climbing then decending every day.
    As we were backpacking we went over the col defours which
    had a lot of snow in July but it made for a wonderful long slide down to
    the valley.
    We went anti clockwise.
    I will be in Cham myself from 29th Aug this year as I may not be able to do post monsoon Nepal this year.
    Although you are never far from a town at any point this is a most rewarding
    trek and the views are unbelievable.
    Have fun.

We've recently returned from doing the Tour du Mont Blanc and have uploaded a journal and some photos here:

http://sites.google.com/site/montblanccircuit/

It's great fun and not technically demanding, as has been said, but there are some long days and very long ascents and descents, over 5000' on one occasion. You must be walk fit or will feel miserable!

If you are thinking of doing the trek and are looking at variants do not be put off by the name 'passage dangereux' which is a long 'ladders section' between Argentiere and Chamonix. It is not really dangerous at all but adds an absorbing 45 minute alternative that a lot of trekkers miss unnecessarily.

Finally, don't do as we did and trek during the first two weeks of August, unless you are very fond of your fellow man. It is the French national holidays and the hills are swarming with people.

Huw

Last edited by Huw; 21st September 2010 at 07:43 PM.