Thread: No landslides and sometime problems

Smile No landslides and sometime problems

so far this year I have NOT heard of any problems related to landslides which is great news. Quite often after the rainy season as we all know there are often problems along most trekking routes but this year I have heard nothing. Good. But this is unusual.

Default Re: No landslides and sometime problems

There were plenty of landslides early October.

Quote Originally Posted by Humid Northerlies
    There were plenty of landslides early October.
    I think the building of roads on steep slopes opens up cuts in the landscape that
    may eventually become a landslide site.

I saw several such on the AC two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Suginami
    so far this year I have NOT heard of any problems related to landslides which is great news. Quite often after the rainy season as we all know there are often problems along most trekking routes but this year I have heard nothing. Good. But this is unusual.
    Hi Suginami,
    May I know what do you mean "Good. But this is unusual." Does it means that there are supposed to be many accident?
    Can anyone advise how to prepare or be catious of land sliding? Reading the thread: Snowed in at Manang http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24301, it has quite scare me off.

Every year there are land slides after rainy season or during. Most trekkers have crossed loose scree slopes or similar. Some sections of the highway between KTM and Pokara are closed due to rockslides. Its important to ask around. I have not heard anything about the Langtang region so I hope all is OK but they have been pushing a road through for some time so that often causes problems.

Take a look out of the plane window as you come into KTM and you can often see evidence of landslides.

I have not heard of anything around Manang. Yakshaver is up that way atm. Hopefull all is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TeSP
    Hi Suginami,
    May I know what do you mean "Good. But this is unusual." Does it means that there are supposed to be many accident?
    Can anyone advise how to prepare or be catious of land sliding? Reading the thread: Snowed in at Manang http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24301, it has quite scare me off.

TeSP,
    not everything can be controlled on a Nepal trek, especially the weather. It is not a resort holiday -- it can be rough, rugged and unpredictable: that's the joy of Nepal (although, the AC is pretty comfortable in my view). Just go prepared and relaxed and enjoy (don't try to rush it -- THAT you CAN control).

LF

I am just back from AC. It's beautiful but has not taken any photo. Sort of difficult for me. Didn't make it on the first attempt to Thorung Pass, so take a second attempt on the next day. It took me 14 hours up and down... embarrasing...
    No landsliding or frightening incident. Yes, it is quite a cool and comfortable one, except I am being too nervous. May try again.