Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont fly to Kathmandu 10 November

Exclamation Dont fly to Kathmandu 10 November

On Nov 10, the former rebels, who during their 10-year civil war in the past had repeatedly blockaded Kathmandu Valley, will repeat the feat, cutting off all the highways to and from the three districts in the valley.

Along with that, they will also encircle the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu to prevent all flights and have urged all airlines to suspend flights that day.
    If you can possibly schedule your flights to avoid this, you will be much happier.

Question Re: Dont fly to Kathmandu 10 November

that`s bad. poor Yakshaver

Default Re: Dont fly to Kathmandu 10 November

Uh-oh. That's the day I'm supposed to fly in.
    Guess I'll be spending some extra time in Singapore until things blow over. If anyone has any advice or new news as this develops, it would be much appreciated...

Anyone know if the Maoist's are planning to block the airport and valley just on the 10th or for an indefinite time thereafter?

The maoist protest schedule says they will block the airport only on 10 Nov. They have other amusing activities planned for other days.

But anything can happen - including nothing.

Its now in the press that this blockage will not take place but that doesn't mean it still wont be difficult getting into the city if transport is disrupted.

Namaste!

Nepalnews.com
    Maoists withdraw bandh at TIA
    http://www.nepalnews.com/main/index....dh-at-tia.html

Ging

Whats the mood on the ground from someone in Nepal? Does it seem like it would be safe to fly in there now? It's good that the airport shutdown has been called off, but I think that I read somewhere about the Maoists planning to close off Kathmandu valley around that time.

I know that no one can really see into the future, but if you were me and had to fly into Nepal on the 9th, would you do it? Or cancel and wait for another time?

Thanks,

- Bala

This is always a difficult question and it has to be an individual answer depending on your tolerance of disruption and inconvenience. If you are a first timer to Nepal its probably even tougher as you can't draw on exposure to similar events there. I have faced this question a few times during protest campaigns in earlier years. I came back from trekking for example in the midst the April 06 protests. I have always decided to go and always still enjoyed the trip.

what i would consider firstly is, could you still enjoy the trip or would you constantly worry about the likely disruptions, at at worst some fear of your personal safety though in my experince this was never an issue ?

what flexibility is there in your schedule as i would be expecting transport delays as a minimum ? Generally a blockage of the valley does not include local flights but getting to from the airport can be a challenge.

sorry but I am not sure I can offer more.
    Last edited by Boulia; 5th November 2009 at 03:24 AM.

I was planning on traveling from Katmandu to Pokhara on the 12., but it seems like there would be difficulties. I would also be interested in some grass-root observations from Nepal. Especially if there is any risk of full confrontation and if western tourists could be a target.